Transom Drain Fitting - 1991 23 Gulfstream

Cap'n Poon

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi folks, I noticed the 1/2" bilge drain plug threading further and further into the transom drain fitting on my 1991 23 Gulfstream so I got down where I could get a closer look and discovered it out of round. Seems the stuff draining out of the bilge has been a bit caustic to the brass fitting over the ~30+ years. So I removed the drain fitting intent on replacing it with the same size part so I don't have to drill additional holes, but I am having difficulties finding a brass fitting with the same outside dimension of 2.125"... everything I find is 2.00", except the nylon stuff. Does anyone know where/what I am looking for in brass/bronze? I'm hesitant to install the nylon parts... would you? TIA, LarryDA901E39-570A-4596-A5FF-403FBF690CF5.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The part that matters is the hole pattern/size, not so much the OD. Is your OD measured with years of bottom paint on it? :)

Do you have a shop nearby? They usually have these things in stock.

Worst case, fill holes and rotate the garboard drain fitting and re-drill. Don't spend too much time looking and looking - you'll end up spending 5 times as much time looking than it will take to fill-re-drill. :)

Make sure it's BRONZE (both pieces).

seasick

Reaction score
Heck it's only 1/8 difference, a 1/16 on the outer edge. Sealant will fill that difference. Don't use the same holes, make new ones . Seal ( use 4200 or equivalent) the old hole and the inside of the hole in the transom.
There are cheap options out there, buy the best you can find.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
If you have a trailer boat the stainless version that retainers the plug is really nice. I installed one on my little boat 12 years ago and it has been great.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you have a trailer boat the stainless version that retainers the plug is really nice. I installed one on my little boat 12 years ago and it has been great.
There's a new, bronze version of this, too. I'm not sure if it's Attwood, Perko or someone else - I can check when I get to the store, though.

seasick

Reaction score
I think the current Perko is 2 inch diameter.

vocz

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Boatwise Safety Drain Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PYU43AO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XWRMEYVN950H5YWMRDWR?psc=1.Just put this in my 265 Express. I had to dig out soft stuff around the hole, dry it a few days with small heater and fill the hole up with Marine Tex, hole saw the Marine Tex, 5200 and it looks like new again. I like this model because it doesn’t expose the transom woods to water. I can fill up the length of the guard plug with 5200.

gw204

Reaction score
I might have an extra one of these. Will try to remember to look when I get home.