transom drain replacement

ozzy

Reaction score
I would like to know how you flare the brass transom drain tubes. My Grady came with one that had cracked during the flaring process and wasn't sealing well. I took it out and used epoxy to seal the wood from water penetration but now I need to put in a new tube and flare the ends. It is a 1.25 O.D. brass tube and needs about a 45 to 90 degree .125 flare at each end. Wall thickness is .032. Tried to find a tool but all I have found is guys using a ball pein hammer to start the flare. Any help would be appreciated.
Ozzy

rparkssos

Reaction score
When I bought my replacement tubes from my local Grady dealer, they lent me the die that forms the flare in-place. Ask your dealer.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ozzy: Welcome to the forum. Same thing happened to me on a previous Grady. Dealer fixed it then I called factory and they reimbursed the cost even though the hull was just out of warranty.

Rob

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can make one using a threaded rod, two truck lug nuts, two washers and two regular nuts, cut the brass fitting 1/8" longer than the depth of the transom.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have one that I bought from the link below. You'll never do a proper job with a ball peen hammer, or other McGiver type solutions. Be advised also, that most people place an O-ring on both ends before crimping.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ging+Tools

Its hard to see in pic below, but tube at far left was installed using "ball peen hammer" method. Others were installed with proper flaring tool. These were replaced while doing a complete transom rebuild. I plan on replacing the tube installed by "ball peen hammer" method. Trust me, get the flaring tool and do it right. Mike

005.jpg

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19949

Mike L

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ozzy:
The one I used was flared on one end and you just had to flare the other. I used a variation on Nothing Else Matters idea. Threaded rod with washers and a copper pipe adapter. I think it was a 3/4 to 1". Flared perfectly.
Also, make sure you anneal the tube before flaring. Heat till cherry red and then let cool. This will prevent it from cracking when you flare it.
Mike

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Everybody has problems with these peened over drains. How come nobody suggested using the 2-piece plastic drains from West Marine? Looks like you can caulk them to be water tight. I don't know how you can do that with the peened drains unless using an O-ring.