Transom moisture

RaRa

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Anyone with transom problems? 2006 360 holding moisture. What is the remedy?

scott1949

Reaction score
After I repowered my 1996 Islander with 4 strokes and my transom was actually bowing outward, I knew a rebuild was in order. GW has a thick piece of aluminum angle that runs the entire length of the transom that is enclosed within. Do some research and find a good shop to look at your transom. Good Luck.

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It''s quite a broad question you are asking with many variables and therefore just as many answers. I have quite a bit of experience on the topic (fortunately or unfortunately) and would gladly provide what feedback I can. How and by whom was the moisture detected- you, surveyor a shop? Was it measured with a meter and/or sounded and by who, again shop, yourself or surveyor? Is delamination, blistering already present? Was a core sample taken from the transom? Has the point(s) of water intrusion been identified? Is the aluminum transom cap which runs the length of the transom and which the motor brackets are resting on in tact (sealed firmly down) or can you see that it has started detaching or can you see that it was resealed by someone (assuming you are not original owner and do not know entire history of the boat)? If not, look inside the bilge with a strong flashlight and locate the motor mounting bolts - do you see brownish rusty stains (ice T) coming down from the bolts?

The boat is going on 14 yrs old, given some imperfections in transom design, age, etc. some level of moisture could be common by now and can be deemed as acceptable, so long as it is not excessive, progressive and the point(s) of intrusion has been identified and remedied.

RaRa

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The alum cap has deteriorated and also separated away from the line of caulk. Appears to be the entrance location of water. Also has the tea stain running down one engine bolt on the inside. Surveyor detected with meter showing 70%.

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The alum cap has deteriorated and also separated away from the line of caulk. Appears to be the entrance location of water. Also has the tea stain running down one engine bolt on the inside. Surveyor detected with meter showing 70%.
Looks like you are in for transom replacement at 70% reading. Find a good reputable shop that is known for this type of work and see what they advise. I would have it rebuilt using a composite material - Coosa Board - as opposed to plywood. I would also contact Grady White directly and advise of them issue that was found and the point of intrusion and get their feedback and opinion - you may be very surprised to see how helpful they will be. Good luck!

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks like you are in for transom replacement at 70% reading. Find a good reputable shop that is known for this type of work and see what they advise. I would have it rebuilt using a composite material - Coosa Board - as opposed to plywood. I would also contact Grady White directly and advise of them issue that was found and the point of intrusion and get their feedback and opinion - you may be very surprised to see how helpful they will be. Good luck!

Also wanted to add, have that lip of the transom glassed over properly and then put a cap - Grady no longer uses he aluminum , but some kind of plastic material, but have that lip glassed over. Prices for this work can vary widely depending on where you are locate of course, but a fair estimate would be in the $5k-$6.5K range for that boat using composite material.