Transom mount or Thru hull mount for 226 Seafarer

jw_dogfish74

Reaction score
I'm replacing old fish finder on recently bought GW 226 Seafarer (2000) with new one, a nice new Garmin reader and a new transducer. The old transducer is already on a transom mount in what appears to be a good spot. I'm trying to find out if it's worth it or if it's even possible to do a thru-hull installation with the new one. One guy I talked to said the transom mounts break easy but I'm just not sure about switching to a thru-hull. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

richie rich

Reaction score
I've had transom mounts for years...never broke one off....but my boats have been mostly birthed at a dock, not trailered.....taking a boat on and off a trailer may increase the risk of breakage if you're not carefull, but they are widely used........the transom mount is only a fraction of an inch below the hull bottom, so it doesn't stick down very far, but it does stick out aft.....since one is there and mounted correctly and working already, I guess its not so bad a spot?? Personal choice...guys use both types successfully....a thru hull will cost a bit more to install if done at a qualified shop. A transom mount can be done by you for free.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Mine is transom mounted and I haven't had any issues. I also keep my boat on a trailer. I think the only way the transducer would get broken would be if the trailer was set up wrong.

catch22

Reaction score
Yes... it is possible to do a "Thru-hull" on your Seafarer. But, assuming you have the standard/supplied "transom-mount" ducer, you would need to buy/upgrade to a true "thru-hull" type transducer. This model - (link is only an example, you might find it cheaper elsewhere) http://www.anchorexpress.com/Garmin-B60 ... 982-00.htm is a good choice. Has dual frequency, temp. and a very low/flush profile. The 20 degree tilt should be right on for a Seafarer. Keep in mind, you won't have water speed, but it's not really an issue because you get that from your GPS anyway. You can probably get an optional speed pick-up, but again... why bother.

You can also do a "shoot-thru" install. The ducer gets epoxied, (or use a good sealant) right to the inside of the hull, (same area as "thru-hull"). The signal literally "shoots-thru" the bottom of the hull. You will lose some power, (signal strength) with this method, (one of the "cons") but it is the "cleanest" set up, because there's nothing mounted outside, (no drilling holes, no exposed wires, etc). You can get-a-way with using the standard/supplied "transom-mount" transducer, or purchase an optional "puck", (shoot-thru) style. However, with this set up, you won't have water temperature or speed, (another "con") unless you buy the optional sensor/pick-ups, and that brings you back to drilling holes in the transom, (sigh) .

Imo, (I agree with the above replies) the most practical set up is the "transom mount", especially since you already had one mounted. Just replace your old one in the same spot. You won't lose any signal strength or give up speed or water temp.

If the hole pattern is different, try to use one or more of the old holes, (if possible, but don't sacrifice a good location) and fill any un-used holes with either "Marine-tex" epoxy - http://www.marinetex.com/ or use a counter sink ss screw, (counter bore the gel-cote) so the screw head is flush with the gel-cote surface. Use plenty of "under the water line approved" sealant on all screws.

Seahunter

Reaction score
catch22 said:
Yes... it is possible to do a "Thru-hull" on your Seafarer. But, assuming you have the standard/supplied "transom-mount" ducer, you would need to buy/upgrade to a true "thru-hull" type transducer. This model - (link is only an example, you might find it cheaper elsewhere) http://www.anchorexpress.com/Garmin-B60 ... 982-00.htm is a good choice. Has dual frequency, temp. and a very low/flush profile. The 20 degree tilt should be right on for a Seafarer.

Here is a Airmar B60-20 thru hull installed on my 226

P1010370.JPG

Keep in mind, you won't have water speed, but it's not really an issue because you get that from your GPS anyway. You can probably get an optional speed pick-up, but again... why bother.
Becouse GPS does not give you speed over water. Speed over water is very important if your trolling speed sensitive lures