Transom Mount Side Scan Transducer

Jerlax23

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I have a 2002 Advance 247. Both thru hulls are occupied and the electronics people will not mount the transom mount SS transducer because of the hull's step to the false transom. They claim that the step would cause cavitation which would distort the sonar signal.
Issues:
  1. Port transducer is a Raymarine depth finder probably standard equipment. It can go.
  2. Starboard transducer is the Garmin CHIRP transducer with a water temperature sensor that has failed.
  3. Garmin does not seem to have a brass through hull transducer for this boat with side scan capabilities.
  4. Side scan is invaluable for the wreck and structure fishing I do.
  5. I would like to ride out my current electronics and will do a major upgrade in 3-5 years.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You have flat areas port & stbd for thru hulls?

You did not say what sonar you have. Which Garmin CHIRP xducer?

If you have Garmin downvu/sidevu you can use a thru hull GT51M-TH on the keel. (its not bronze its stainless steel). Has to be on centerline for sidescan to work.

I would think you could instead mount a transom mount GT51-TM on the edge of the main hull. It might not work well on plane but it will work for wreck fishing.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you can post a picture of your transom I can probably help you out. I have some experience locating transom mounted transducers and get it right the first time about 90% of the time.

Jerlax23

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Sorry it took me so long to get back, it’s pretty cold here. I tried to take some pictures of the transom but for some reason it won’t let me post them on the site because the files are too big. I’m pretty sure I know where to put it, there’s really only one spot on the transom, there will be cavitation problems but again if I’m going at slower speeds it won’t make a difference.

Jerlax23

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I figured out the technology

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13

Jerlax23

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Here’s another one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
oh ya....you are screwed... idk how they deal with those brackets.
You could go on the bracket next to the motor (with steering clearance) and it'll work slow. The step and Tabs will probably mess with it running..

possibly you could put a GT51M-TH thruhull on the keel but far enought fwd not to mess with your motor.

1615127157641.png You would NOT use the fairing, just the transducer itself on the keel

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think you are out of luck with a transom mount. I'd find the best spot on the bottom for it.

Jerlax23

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I was afraid of that. I will probably wait until I make my electronics upgrade to fix the transducer issue.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I mounted a side scanning transducer on a Key West that had the step to the false transom and it worked fine.

Mount the transducer on the false transom half way between the Garboard drain plug and the trim tabs. Run the wire under the step and over the back of the transom. Use the smallest possible nylon wire clamps. Bed the stainless steel screws with 5200.

For the initial adjustment, I would start with the bottom of the transducer positioned half way outside of the V hull. If you get interference on the left side view, you may need to lower the transducer further. At least with the step you won't have to worry about a rooster tail.