transom question

Rock Creek

Reaction score
Can any one explain to me what the differance is between a plain transom, a bracketed transom and a "euro" transom. Just getting started trying to sort out the right Grady for me. Thanks

uncljohn

Reaction score
A plain transom (normally "notched transom") is a straight flat stern with the motor mounted directly to the stern. Grady 226

A bracketed transom has some sort of motor bracket mounted to the transom, which holds the motor back 1-3' from the transom. Grady 228

A eurotransom has what I'd call a step-down from the actual transom to a platform to which the motors are mounted. I think the Sailfish has this now?

A notched transom is not desireable if you fish in big waters where you can get waves over the stern. But it can be done.

Clockwork

Reaction score
notched transoms get knocked but i like them and there is a simple fix: bolt in a plate into the cockpit side of the engine well. thats what i do.

i dont like brackets because it makes the engine hard to access from the boat (emergency repairs etc). and they have steering characteristics i dont like.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ive had all three transoms - A Seafarer (notched), Gulfstream (bracket) and Sailfish (Euro) - While it is tough to compare just the transoms because of the different sizes in boats, I had a much better sense of saftey with the the latter two transoms - backing down on a fish is a bit nerve racking in the notched transom - Although I have to say I had the notched for 18 years and never had a safety incident - just feels more secure with a full transom

DaleH

Reaction score
Basically with a Euro transom, say for a 23' model, you'll get less room of the previous 21' model of that same boat ... but at the price level of a 23' boat. Or simply put, less room - more cost. Less room overall if one counts the 'new integrated pulpit' into the length too.

Seriously, not that GW does this as blatently, but there used to be a website that showed the old 20' Pro-Like CC, where it progressed to be their new 22' CC model with the Euro-transom, which then became the next year's 23' model with integrated pulpit. Ahhhhh, it had less cockpit space than the old 20' CC model with cut-out transom. But note, every foot greated you go in hull length adds $1,000s to the baseline price.

Sometimes though, you will get an increase in beam to the hull under the new configuration.

Others can opine differently, but all I know is that my 25' Parker is 25' from stem to stern, adding 3-4' for the OBs off the engine bracket and another 3' for the pulpit, and my 25' hull measures almost 32' overall ...