Transom Rebuild - follow my journey

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
1999 GW Bimini 306
Blew starboard OX66 2 weeks ago. Piston rap. In search of replacement low hour 4 stroke 250s.

Had recognized some transom signs of issue over last few seasons. Figured while engines off might as well get it repaired if possible.
Here is where I am so far.

Estimate 10K - but if it is worse than expect once they get into it, it will be even more money if it got into the stringers. If more than 10K, I think the boat is going to the grave. Bums me out...
There is a bit of a wave in the transom seen when looking at the edge from side to side.
IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8932.JPG

IMG_8930.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good luck. This is a process I navigated. You will come out of it better than going in. Price seems to the going rate unfortunately.

Reactions: frankm

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
hopefully the stringers are dry and solid. i wish you the best of luck!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
it will be weeks before the boat is brought inside for work to begin.
I just dropped mine off for winter storage and a stern cap inspection. Were the 4 notches in transom cap there or did you cut them to see what the stern damage looked like?l Good luck with the search for 4 strokes and the transom. Does look like supply of used engines is improving a bit.

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
I just dropped mine off for winter storage and a stern cap inspection. Were the 4 notches in transom cap there or did you cut them to see what the stern damage looked like?l Good luck with the search for 4 strokes and the transom. Does look like supply of used engines is improving a bit.
The notches were created 3 years ago when I first noticed the transom issue separation/bulge issues, but could not take on the project at that time. The notches were done because I had the engines lifted up 1 hole to hole #2. The motor bracket was touching he bracket so notched it out of the way. The metal bracket was fee floating/unsecured and only a face, providing no protective value. Just visually blocking the crap grady white transom unfinished edge.

I lifted the engines because while underway, I could not see my cavitation fins at cruise, and engines throwing up a lot of spray and I was not getting anywhere near the published bulletin values for speed or GPH. Thought that would help. It didn't do much but made getting out of the hole worse and only possible if trimmed down. So Ill go back to hole #1 w/ new(used) engines.

Reactions: Legend

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good luck with your project. I know I'll be looking at going down this road someday too. Does anyone know if the Scientist at GW are going to change over to encapsulating this edge in glass or they still going with the plastic cap ??

Fishtales

Reaction score
Plastic cap today. Who knows for the future. Prob designing another DC versus addressing this much needed improvement.

Greatty

Reaction score
Bump. Just dropped off my 99' 180 for transom repair. I'll post before and after pics in a separate thread when complete. Estimate $6500-7000

Reactions: igblack87

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Bump. Just dropped off my 99' 180 for transom repair. I'll post before and after pics in a separate thread when complete. Estimate $6500-7000
Where did you bring it for the fiberglass work?

lapmd1

Reaction score
following..........was told by the yard today my '94 Tournament 22 needs a new transom........I see the above quote, and waiting to hear an estimate.........for those of you that have had the privilege of participating in this wonderful journey, what was the ultimate bottom line about? was 6-7K accurate? Thanks so much.

Fishtales

Reaction score
mine was around $9.5K for transom rebuild and 2 motors on/off.

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
Update....

Boat is going indoors next week, and will get a tear down assessment. Probably have more news end of week or week after that. I have been holding off on making a decision on engines (rebuild or new) until I know the scope of work is just transom and not getting into stringers etc. My wallet is not liking what lies ahead. My estimated price for transom is $10K. More if stringers or other. I have already paid to have my ox66 250HP engines removed $350.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Update....

Boat is going indoors next week, and will get a tear down assessment. Probably have more news end of week or week after that. I have been holding off on making a decision on engines (rebuild or new) until I know the scope of work is just transom and not getting into stringers etc. My wallet is not liking what lies ahead. My estimated price for transom is $10K. More if stringers or other. I have already paid to have my ox66 250HP engines removed $350.
…. Meanwhile in Greenville NC the scientists at R&D have changed nothing in the transom design other than using a plastic cap vs the aluminum one.
Blows my mind

jap201

Reaction score
…. Meanwhile in Greenville NC the scientists at R&D have changed nothing in the transom design other than using a plastic cap vs the aluminum one.
Blows my mind
Yup. What shocks me is that this has been going on since we has our GW back in 1987. And I'm sure the knowledge that the transoms are rotting goes further back than that. I love the the features of the GW, but the transom issue along with the delam issues on the GW's we've looked at are keeping us from getting another one.