Transom Rebuild - follow my journey

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Agree. The design is the issue and nobody seems to care.
...and if that design doesn't change, I think they are going to start seeing reduced sales. You can only ride on past reputation so long and then you have to prove you are comparable or better than the competition.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
… I knew full well what to expect when going the used route and when the day comes , I’ll suck it up and drop the 10k too, which beats the crap out of the cost of a new boat. Educated buyers should think long and hard before buying a new boat with an inherent flaw such as this. Most manufacturers have some issues, this one is just blatantly obvious and totally avoidable in this day and age.

Kggrady30

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I am looking at a 2002 30 Bimini w/ 2014 300 Verados. There is a what seems to be a cap over the transom, which you notched. The sealant on it is seperated. Does that mean there is transom issues or just reseal the cap. When sea tested the transom did not move and there is not any stress cracks in the back like in your picture.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 80

Kggrady30

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Swolt? Like swollen, water logged? No, it seemed solid both inside and out. There is brakets on the inside i could see in the access ports and it all looked dry and solid.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 16

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Mostly noticeable in the area between the motors along the the aluminum angle. Instead of a 90 deg angle the aluminum is bulged out (swollen)on the downside

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Speaking of transom work, it seems most of the threads I read, most everyone says about 10k. That must be an east coast price, because most of the people I talk to here in the Pacific NW, are 15k-18k.

I know there are probably fewer fiberglass shops around here, since aluminum boats are the most common out here, but the cost difference seems significant.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Speaking of transom work, it seems most of the threads I read, most everyone says about 10k. That must be an east coast price, because most of the people I talk to here in the Pacific NW, are 15k-18k.

I know there are probably fewer fiberglass shops around here, since aluminum boats are the most common out here, but the cost difference seems significant.
I think the biggest thing is that people don't ever seem to shop around, of which I personally refuse to pay double for something, so I buy all of my boats on the east coast because they're usually half the price. I bought my 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer for $26.5k and similar boats out here with a few more options like radar and maybe a kicker motor get prices of $55k and $65k, which is just insane. I think shops out here can charge basically whatever they want to because people don't shop around and because people will continue to pay their prices no questions asked.

Reactions: Saltyone

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I think the biggest thing is that people don't ever seem to shop around, of which I personally refuse to pay double for something, so I buy all of my boats on the east coast because they're usually half the price. I bought my 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer for $26.5k and similar boats out here with a few more options like radar and maybe a kicker motor get prices of $55k and $65k, which is just insane. I think shops out here can charge basically whatever they want to because people don't shop around and because people will continue to pay their prices no questions asked.
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of shopping to do here in the Portland area, I think there are maybe 3 places that do that type of work. Maybe I'll need to call around to some Seattle places when the time comes to have my transom replaced.

Greatty

Reaction score
Just completed transom replacement on my '99 180. Estimate was $6500-7000. Haven't gotten bill yet but so far pleased with outcome. For me it was worth the cost to stay in my current boat I've owned since 06 rather than buy new or buy someone else's boat with unknown problems.
Edit 2/4 : $6500.00 was the final bill

Attachments

• imagejpeg(4).jpg
    imagejpeg(4).jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6601.jpg
    IMG_6601.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6602.jpg
    IMG_6602.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20230123_122132.jpg
    20230123_122132.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Just completed transom replacement on my '99 180. Estimate was $6500-7000. Haven't gotten bill yet but so far pleased with outcome. For me it was worth the cost to stay in my current boat I've owned since 06 rather than buy new or buy someone else's boat with unknown problems.
Where did you have the work done? I see you’re in Cape Cod area.

Kggrady30

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Mostly noticeable in the area between the motors along the the aluminum angle. Instead of a 90 deg angle the aluminum is bulged out (swollen)on the downside
I have this picture and will be going back to take some more today with a moisture reader. See where the stringer seems it is a little cracked. Trouble brewing? Also, there is different size plates inside there. I’m going to get more pictures and post

Attachments

• 5BFBAF4C-FCC0-4E71-B00E-C7F374C87E3E.jpeg
    5BFBAF4C-FCC0-4E71-B00E-C7F374C87E3E.jpeg
    645.3 KB · Views: 95

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
is that Penske board they used or some other ?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of shopping to do here in the Portland area, I think there are maybe 3 places that do that type of work. Maybe I'll need to call around to some Seattle places when the time comes to have my transom replaced.
What about Vancouver or eastern Washington? It would probably take half a day to get the boat there and back but if it could save you $5k or more then it'd definitely be worth it in my opinion. I'd definitely check in the Seattle area as well but it seems like the closer you get to Seattle the more expensive everything becomes. There are a few boat builders in eastern Washington and have to imagine there are a few fiberglass repair shops over there.

Reactions: Saltyone

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
What about Vancouver or eastern Washington? It would probably take half a day to get the boat there and back but if it could save you $5k or more then it'd definitely be worth it in my opinion. I'd definitely check in the Seattle area as well but it seems like the closer you get to Seattle the more expensive everything becomes. There are a few boat builders in eastern Washington and have to imagine there are a few fiberglass repair shops over there.
Might even be less expensive to pay one of the fine members on GG with transom replacement experience to fly out and rebuild mine. :D