Transom Rebuild - follow my journey

mikesne

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Did the transom on my 204C 2 years ago. Took me most of the summer but I got it done. Spent just over $1K for the materials. used 2 layers of 11ply okume marine ply, 1708 biaxal fiberglass and about 5 gallons of epoxy. Final step was to fair it and paint with Total boat top side wet edge.

Lots of itching and scratching and a few choice words at times but it turned out great.

Gmack76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone for all the great info in this thread. As a new GW owner, I assumed the aluminum cap over the transom was simply for EXTRA protection and that, of course, the top was glassed and finish gel-coated. Everyone know what happens when you assume . . .
For those familiar, at the factory, is the cap set in a bed of 5200 or anything? What measures are taken to seal everything off?
My 1996 Sailfish shows no signs of transom issues right now but it seems like those issues are close to inevitable considering this issue.

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Wait...so that aluminum beam runs the width of the boat and has two more that tie into it and run fwd? I assumed the transom was just solid wood. Is this only something on the largest models or would my 2000 Chase 263 have it too?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 263 should have it. Look in the bilge for the aluminum brackets.
Our 99 248 voyager had similar aluminum bracing.

mikesne

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks everyone for all the great info in this thread. As a new GW owner, I assumed the aluminum cap over the transom was simply for EXTRA protection and that, of course, the top was glassed and finish gel-coated. Everyone know what happens when you assume . . .
For those familiar, at the factory, is the cap set in a bed of 5200 or anything? What measures are taken to seal everything off?
My 1996 Sailfish shows no signs of transom issues right now but it seems like those issues are close to inevitable considering this issue.
When I rebuilt mine, I removed the aluminum and epoxied and glassed over the entire seam..

Reactions: Gmack76

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
6,000 is a price I got from a shop in Miami that works on a lot of grady's. the owner himself had a redone 23 footer that he closed in the transom and added a bracket. I will be inspecting mine from the inside before cutting off the glass on the transom. i already can see the supports in the bilge have rotted due to expose edges. I can't see paying someone to do what I can do myself for about 500 bucks..

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
A few more pictures today. The metal resting against the hydraulics is the template for engine mount holes. As mentioned before oversized holed will be filled w/ epoxy. Will line up the template against the already drilled holes in the aluminum rail which is out of sight on the front side of aluminum. The aluminum rail where it meets the new transom material is being filled w/ some kind of epoxy material underneath the tape. Drain plugs will be fiberglass. original aluminum drain caps are in the garbage.
Stbd.jpg
Port.jpg
transom drain.jpg
drain-plug-hole.jpg
FullView.jpg

Attachments

• transom drain.jpg
    transom drain.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 16

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
why would you spend all that money and not get the 250AP with fly by wire, auto-trim, troll mode...

You are changing from Yamaha to Suzuki. You can't use your old gauges and binnacle. You save nothing by staying mechanical. You still have to buy new mechanical binnacle.
Makes no sense at all. Get the APs!

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
Are they not glassing over the aluminum rail to the motor well?
They are not from what understand. I think they are still working through it. There is the cap which Grady white provides not visible in the photos. I expect they will adapt that some how. I asked about fiberglassing to the port (where you can see the old putty) and starboard edges, and he said he believes it will crack w. stress thats why GW did not glass it. I'll know more by end of week I expect.

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
why would you spend all that money and not get the 250AP with fly by wire, auto-trim, troll mode...

You are changing from Yamaha to Suzuki. You can't use your old gauges and binnacle. You save nothing by staying mechanical. You still have to buy new mechanical binnacle.
Makes no sense at all. Get the APs!
I ordered the 250 APs - awaiting a delivery time frame now. Expect to get some rebates related to boat show pricing also. 55.3K installed w/ gauges/props/controls/rigging

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Tuxedo4123

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Thanks for all the pictures. Just dropped my 263 1994 Chase off at Woolard and Nelson in Greensboro NC. They do warranty work for Grady and know them well. Estimate guess before tear down is 10k+. Unfortunately they are 4.5-5 hours from home so pictures will be difficult. I will post what I learn and find though along with any pics I might get. See cracking starting at side of splashwell, also getting bowing along top of transom along splashwell cap as aluminum bar stock along transom begins to fail and bend.

Attachments

• AE8FA779-10CC-4D55-A885-D70A334B2B60.jpeg
    AE8FA779-10CC-4D55-A885-D70A334B2B60.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 64

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
Thanks for all the pictures. Just dropped my 263 1994 Chase off at Woolard and Nelson in Greensboro NC. They do warranty work for Grady and know them well. Estimate guess before tear down is 10k+. Unfortunately they are 4.5-5 hours from home so pictures will be difficult. I will post what I learn and find though along with any pics I might get. See cracking starting at side of splashwell, also getting bowing along top of transom along splashwell cap as aluminum bar stock along transom begins to fail and bend.
I had a 263 before my 306. Liked the boat, but I will tell you the 306 is sooo sturdy by comparison. Can have 6 guys on one side. No tilt. Good luck w/ your project.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think the F250s are fine on the Marlin, but I'm not looking to set any speed records. The motors are super reliable and I would replace my F250s with the same in a heartbeat.

jap201

Reaction score
Im a little pissed. We pAY ALOT OF MONEY FOR THESE GRADY WHITES AND i too had problems with the hull delimitation. Cost me 6,000 but it left a bitter taste in my mouth because i am now looking to buy a bigger boat and quite frankly, i'm not sure if i will buy another Grady White. I'm concerned with Quality Control.
Hate to say it, but GW lost us as a customer because of these problems. The GW checks almost all of the boxes, but they missed the transom issue, delam, etc. We really like them but for the aforementioned, so we're going with a different brand.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Does anyone know if this is a problem also on newer boats? I have a 2019 335 Freedom with triples and this would be a concern if it is an issue not addressed at all.

H