Transom replacement Marlin

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I'm looking at a Marlin 300 and just found out the transom is being replaced. Two questions, how concerned should I be about other issues once that transom is replaced...second there was a survey done recently (within the past 2 years) that I don't think caught the issue...should that make me more concerned?

Fishtales

Reaction score
The transom can go easily if the owner does not inspect and take action early. The biggest water fails would be other wood coring or stringers and hull balsa coring. A good surveyor that knows what to inspect very closely will find the issues. Transom is 8-10K to rebuild. Prob the easiest thing to do on the list above if you ask me.

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
You looking at the one in NJ?
I am...there are a few here, and I was really nervous about going as old as that one is...but it is in great condition, the current owner was running charters on it up through December of this year, and its been updated fully with new outboards and electronics...its literally everything I want at an insane price point...but...the transom makes me nervous.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Depends on who and how the transom is being repaired. If it is a full transom replacement - great - but that is a $10k~$12k job. Make it the owners problem. Tell him your interested but you need to talk to glass shop and see the work. If it's a patch job I would be very nervous too.

YachtaFun

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What year (there are multiple I have seen for sale in NJ)? I just bought an '06 Marlin in the fall for a great price, waived the survey to expedite (4 year old and 8 year old pristine surveys were provided, no delamination). Transom bang cap was in good condition, and no visible wear/cracking on transom. Price was at a place anyways where if transom had to be rebuilt in future, it would still make sense financially (in terms of a boat...). Regardless, no one wants to go through this, so I reached out to Grady as this is really only consistent issue with Marlins, and they advised below, seemed to be earlier models that mostly had the issue. As for your situation, as long as its a reputable glass shop, and the end price is right, not sure why it would be a concern.

"The transom and stringers on our 2006 300 marlin are built with marine treated plywood that is encapsulated with fiberglass. Our earlier boats used aluminum bang plates at the deck to hull joint at the motor wells on our boats. It would not hurt to seal around the corner side trim pieces and bang plate as preventive maintenance.

Our Marlins have a transom brace that runs from one stern eye to the other and has two welded legs that thru bolt through the stringers on this boat. we supported."

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
"it would still make sense financially (in terms of a boat...)."

Hahahaha boat sense.....

to keep in perspective, a 2024 Marlin lists at $375,000

Reactions: Chutch

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
if the transom was replaced before the survey and was done well, there wouldnt be anything for the surveyor to catch

YachtaFun

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
"it would still make sense financially (in terms of a boat...)."

Hahahaha boat sense.....

to keep in perspective, a 2024 Marlin lists at $375,000
And the new Marlins are beautiful, but realistically, very little visual difference between 2006 and even 2020+... A great design (less the bang plate), is a great design I guess. Even more of a reason why I would say its worth the 10-12k for the transom repair, sort of a timeless look right now with some tech and basic upgrades.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It isn't a Marlin issue folks, it's a Grady build process issues. All their boats are built this way - even today. Do let anyone kid you. This is the #1 issue with GW build process and every boat will get wet if this area isn't policed. The cores have changed over the years but even with the greenwood or composite material you can experience delamination which will is a close second to rot.

Reactions: Stephnic

Fishtales

Reaction score
here is last years boat show....Freedom 375. Same crappy build process for the liner/hull joint. SS bang cap instead of aluminum, same plastic covers on the ends. Water gets under both and in the screws that hold them in place. Core starts to get wet, transom eventually fails. People keep buying them, so why take the time and money to do it right?
1707257326157.png

306Bimini

Reaction score
I just had my Transom repaired the correct way by Glassing over where the bang plate is located, removed the Greenwood Ply and used Coosa board. greenwood was wet but not rotten.

Reactions: Stephnic

Delta2020

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have posted pictures in the past of my 1999 268 Islander I repowered it but had to do the transom completely over .The cost was $7500 when they opened it up it was completely rotted .If in doubt stay away invest in another type of boat .GW continues to build the boats the same way and there overpriced.Hatches andhardtops fall apart because they don’t finish the edges off properly.

Attachments

• IMG_3552.jpeg
    IMG_3552.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3548.jpeg
    IMG_3548.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pretty much a poster child if the transom is soaked in water....