Transom Rod Rack on 2006 Marlin

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Was curious who has them and how they were thru-bolting?

Looks like I will probably have to make a couple of access holes through the fishbox and foam?

Fishtales

Reaction score
In the factory they likely install before installing the fish box on models that it offered on.
I think the fish box is sealed in place and then foamed. I think you have a few options.
- use an anchor like a toggle bolt. Worth investigating. It would have to be stainless and fairly sturdy.
- use a standard anchor and 5200 in place. Can’t troll likely but ok for storage at rest and running. For trolling drag would have to be set lightly to be used.
- Remove the fish box, install the rod holder with lock nuts and then reinstall the box. The best but more work.

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
In the factory they likely install before installing the fish box on models that it offered on.
I think the fish box is sealed in place and then foamed. I think you have a few options.
- use an anchor like a toggle bolt. Worth investigating. It would have to be stainless and fairly sturdy.
- use a standard anchor and 5200 in place. Can’t troll likely but ok for storage at rest and running. For trolling drag would have to be set lightly to be used.
- Remove the fish box, install the rod holder with lock nuts and then reinstall the box. The best but more work.
I was thinking to simply drill some access holes from inside the box using a hole saw, though the foam and out the transom. Then I can put caps on the holes inside the box or patch them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I guess it would work but I’d hate the holes. Maybe contact GW and see if the fish box liner can be removed. Whatever you do, take some pics!

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I guess it would work but I’d hate the holes. Maybe contact GW and see if the fish box liner can be removed. Whatever you do, take some pics!
LOL... I am the opposite. I have no issues putting holes in fiberglass, it's easy to repair. Now holes in metals...not so much!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ralph, Have you considered using Rivnuts to mount you rod holders? Check out this video if you are not familiar. They come in stainless steel.

Reactions: Ralph163

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Ralph, Have you considered using Rivnuts to mount you rod holders? Check out this video if you are not familiar. They come in stainless steel.

I'm hook I'll be using these for everything around the house and boat
Thanks Halfhitch

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have no issues putting a hole saw to my boat! lol

Anyways, I made three access holes so I could thru-bolt. I will cover them up with plates. If I get really OCD, I can have the yard glass them over in the spring. But it doesn't bother me, so I will likely not.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 31

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like that. Some screw in deck plates would be perfect.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looks like you already completed your task.
I have a 07’ Marlin purchased used. The boat was fully loaded however I’m not certain the transom rocket launcher/rod rack was factory. Upon re bedding screws and thru bolts everywhere I discovered the “Scientist” who mounted the transom rod rack used only lag screws. With the help of another individual I was able to contort enough to replace a half dozen or more of those lags with thru bolts, fender washers and nylon lock nuts. I don’t suppose a fish strike on a properly set reel drag and bent butt combo is going to dislodge it now. Note, the deck panel to access the bilge was unscrewed and removed at the time to which helped facilitate/aid the contortionist.

Apparently or quite possibly the genius on the design team assigned to that deck bilge access panel must of been the same guy who ran those lag screws in the transom rod rack…. Newer models come with a hinged deck panel for quick easier access… Hallelujah. I still love the boat.

Attachments

• 23FA2B8B-7C97-4379-9B85-B43E53BBE20F.jpeg
    23FA2B8B-7C97-4379-9B85-B43E53BBE20F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
my 92 marlin has plenty of rod holders on the gunnel and transom so i just lag screwed my stainless 4 rod holder to the transom/back of the livewell. i only use it for holding rods while running and holding tools while fishing. doing anything around the lilvewell is murder due to the way construction was done at factory. this was quick and dirty but works for me