Transom Rot Rebuild on a 94 Tournament 192

Davework

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
The transom on our 94 192 just gave in and we’re faced with having to decide on a rebuild. Have one quote for $5k, but was told the deck had to come off. Looking around here it seems like we should be able to get it done from the outside? Would love to be pointed in the right direction for any vids or pics showing a rebuild on a 192, I did search but didn’t locate anything specific?

Any good suggestions for transom work in the Tampa Bay Area?

It’s been a great boat, has the original 150hp Johnson Ocean Runner, good newer upholstery, kept up with pretty well. If we decide not to do the rebuild I’d be curious if there are suggestions on the best way to sell something like this? Just typical CL as a project boat? Or is there a market to part it out? Or fix and flip folks we should seek out?

Thanks for any advice and help.

Reactions: atlgrady

Fishtales

Reaction score
All the ones I've seen have been cut on the inside leaving the exterior hull in tact.

seasick

Reaction score
I have seen several jobs where the outside is cut and saved. This approach makes some replacements a lot less complex when the transom that has to be cut out is not flat. Of course this approach assumes that the inner skin is in decent shape.

Here is a link to a web site that is one of the best I have seen on fiberglass things.
There are several videos to watch just start with this one:

As you will see, it is a big job and maybe not one for folks with little fiberglass experience.

The site Boatworkstoday.com has many videos on all kinds of fiberglass projects and is extremely informative.

Last edited:

Punch53

Reaction score
Nice job replacing a perfectly sound transom.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've seen people do various Grady transoms from the outside, but when I did a 22' Seafarer I owned, after thorough research, decided to do a recore from the inside. My reasons were, (1) stringer connections to transom are critical for strength of structure, and I wanted to be certain they were, (2) when installing new transom core from inside, fiberglass is resin tabbed onto starboard and port sides making an extremely strong bond of complete structure, (3) I did not want to interrupt the strength and integrity of the factory built fiberglass hull by cutting out and replacing outer transom, (4) I was certain that I personally could not match the factory finish on the outer transom.

All that being said, if you're certain that your stringer to transom connections are strong and not compromised, and the existing bond between inner transom and inner hull sides are also strong, and lastly you (whomever does work) is confident of installing a complete job at least as strong and attractive as factory delivered, then doing work from outside may be a good alternative in my opinion.

Davework

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thanks all, this helps me make more sense of it. It sounds like coming from the inside might be the most complete way to get it done.

PS Guy

Reaction score
Mine was done from the outside and looked like new when finished.

Attachments

• Grady1.jpg
    Grady1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Grady2.jpg
    Grady2.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: atlgrady

PS Guy

Reaction score
An in progress and completed transom image.
Cost was $4200.00 Canadian dollars two years ago.
The transom actually fractured on this boat. For me it was well worth having the transom redone as the rest of the boat is in great shape.

Attachments

• Grady8.JPG
    Grady8.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Grady4.jpg
    Grady4.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 49

Fishtales

Reaction score
An in progress and completed transom image.
Cost was $4200.00 Canadian dollars two years ago.
The transom actually fractured on this boat. For me it was well worth having the transom redone as the rest of the boat is in great shape.

That came out very nice....