Transom shower use for motor flush

Grady White Guy

Reaction score
My boat is on a mooring. Has anyone ever used the transom fresh water shower to flush out the outboard motor? If so, what system did you use to attach the shower head to the hose that flushes the motor?

How do people fresh water flush their outboard motors if your on a mooring? Is there another way to accomplish this?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I doubt that the fresh water pump will provide sufficient pressure to move water through all the cooling passages.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree the pump likely has insufficient capability and you will drain your freshwater tank pretty quickly even if you could.
Probably not going to find a decent solution at a price worth implementing.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work if you can find a way to hook up the correct hose adapter. Any flush is better than no flush at all.

Static flushing with the engine tilted out of the water doesn't require much pressure at all. As long as you see water coming out of the tell tale hole, you're likely OK. The water jacket has to pretty much fill up before water will flow from the tell tale. Yamahas are designed to be flushed when tilted out of the water.

You could also use a hand operated garden sprayer pump. If you use a product like SaltAway, you don't need to use much water.

seasick

Reaction score
In order to use the fresh water as a flush, you need to fill the fresh water tank. That implies a water supply somewhere. If so, flush the motor then. Yes it is better to flush after you are finished using the motor but getting a good flush at any time is better than none at all.