transom update

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well

I took the aluminum cap off and there was about an inch circle around one stripped screw hole that was soft. I dug it out and it was about 1/4" -1/2" deep then hard but wet, not saturated. The top of the rest of the wood was wet, but not saturated and not soft in the areas where water got in under the cap. Away from the cap toward the bow was dry.

I know most responses seem to say the problem is bigger, but from what I see, the rest of the transom seems very solid, no odd sounds when tapping with a hammer and no cracks.

At this point, I`m inclined to go with a CPES type treatment and seal the cap and monitor the transom. The boat spends more time out of the water than in, so If indeed it is dryable, it might be OK.

Is this wishfull thinking or a viable approach ?

I did talk to one of the 4 authorized Seacast shops in NC and he told me he could do the Transom for $1500 Max and it could be less. I know compared to plywood that sounds like a lot, but, I feel I will never get the time to do it and have gotten better with my pesronal Time and Money relationship.

I also think that since most of the wood appears good that getting good wood out will be harder then if it were totally shot. I would be sick if I started taking out wood and the bulk of it were good, I would think I should have left it alone and tried to preserve what was there with the CPES.

Anyway, I hope this does not sound like the typical " I hope I don`t have to really replace my trasnom post" but I would be hard pressed to think that there are no Grady`s out there that never get some water under that cap.

Let me know if you have any opinions.

Thanks