Transom

Glennt1

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hi guys, I’m currently looking at a 1990 GW 20 overnighter. After some info the transom if they are foam filled or wood construction. I’ve inspected the boat tapped the transom with a hammer, it didn’t sound all that solid.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That year and model boat should have a wood cored transom. If it is the "notched" type transom with cut out area for mounting outboard(s) with aluminum molding covering top inside edge of transom, they had a habit of letting water enter transom core under this molding. A thorough inspection should be made by a knowledgeable person to make certain that transom core has not been compromised by years of water getting in.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hi guys, I’m currently looking at a 1990 GW 20 overnighter. After some info the transom if they are foam filled or wood construction. I’ve inspected the boat tapped the transom with a hammer, it didn’t sound all that solid.
If you have never checked out boats before, you might be best served to hire a surveyor. Another quick thing to do is to step on the motor and look for transom flex. But, at 30-years old, it would be somewhat expected to have some issues - or, at least, it certainly wouldn't be 'rare'.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought a used '87 seafarer 4 years ago and hired a surveyor during the process. There was moisture in the transom, but the price of the boat was basically the price of the 4-stroke motor on the hull with low hours as well.
There were no soft spots in the transom, so I decided to purchase it anyway.
I rented a portable lift to detach and hold up the motor so I could drill then re epoxied/sealed all the mounting bracket holes in the transom with 4200 sealant.
When the engine first came off, alot of saltwater and sand gushed out of the space between the engine bracket and boat.
I guess I am lucky, 4 years later the transom still has moisture in it, but the wood is still very hard to drill through, and there are no soft spots.
Maybe in my case the saltwater pickled the wood over the years.

Good luck, but as Dennis advised, a surveyor is well worth it IMHO.

Lee

Fishtales

Reaction score
yep. Get a survey. Your looking at 19 year old hull. More than likely you're going to have issues.