Traveling the N.C. and S.C. coast question

2006 Adventure 208

Reaction score
Planning a trip down the N.C. and S.C. coast from Cape Fear River to Georgetown S.C. in 2 weeks. Have run in and out of all the navigable inlets to Little River, S.C. but none further south. Anyone know of issues with the Winyah Bay inlet into Georgetown, S.C. ? Will be traveling on our Adventure 208. We of course can run the I.C.W. if needed but would prefer to run outside if weather and seas allow. Any information would be helpful for planning our trip. Thanks in advance.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are jetties in the approach to Murrells Inlet and the mouth of Winyah Bay but they are well marked. Good weather will make for a nice trip. The ICW is also well marked and a nice trip but there is some floating debris from the harsh winter still floating about so you must keep an eye out. There are several marinas in G-town and a public dock so you will be fine. It is about 12 miles from the ocean to G-town. Stay in the marked channel and you will be fine...skinny water there in places.

grady23

Reaction score
Not sure how long ago you have played in the inlets, but be SURE to check the Coast Guard "Notice to Mariners" for all the areas you plan to access. Places like Lockwood Folley at the West end of Oak Island tends to silt-in very fast and can become blocked to even the smallest boat. Fuel wise, that could cause problems as well as being stuck out in the ocean with no inlet close by in bad weather. Have a great trip if you go. Be sure to take some fishing gear --- I hear the King Mac's are heading North as well as the Spanish.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have it in the back if my mind to one day run from NC to Fla and do it on the ICW. Running on the outside just does not seem as fun as running along the ICW in terms of scenery. I like old southern coastal towns and the charm they have. Missing those for more ocean just seems to miss the purpose of the journey. I get fishing and maybe combing that or perhaps taking a day running outside if seas are flat. This is your trip and not mine so perhaps your joy is different. Either way it sounds fun and i hope your trip is full of adventure.