Traveling with canvas side covers on??????

Lanny

Reaction score
I have had a Grady White Seafare 228G for about 14 years and have traveled to Delaware from PA, about 375 miles, several times a year. When we travel on the road I have always taken the front, rear and side covers down and stored them in the cabin between sheets as not to scratch the plastic windows. I guess I am getting lazy in my old age and tired of the time installing, uninstalling and packing them. Was wondering if you can travel at highway speeds with them on? If so what precautions do you take to prevent them from tearing or coming off and flapping around? Any suggestions? Or should I continue doing what I am doing.

Lanny

seasick

Reaction score
Lanny said:
I have had a Grady White Seafare 228G for about 14 years and have traveled to Delaware from PA, about 375 miles, several times a year. When we travel on the road I have always taken the front, rear and side covers down and stored them in the cabin between sheets as not to scratch the plastic windows. I guess I am getting lazy in my old age and tired of the time installing, uninstalling and packing them. Was wondering if you can travel at highway speeds with them on? If so what precautions do you take to prevent them from tearing or coming off and flapping around? Any suggestions? Or should I continue doing what I am doing.

Lanny
Too many potential issues and risks with them up. Take them down.

Lanny

Reaction score
seasick said:
Lanny said:

Lanny
Too many potential issues and risks with them up. Take them down.

Thanks seasick, that is what I thought but guess I just needed to hear it from someone else :) :) :)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Local roads, stop n go, no faster than 45mph, 5 or 10 miles to the ramp....Sure.

Over 50mph steady for an hour or 2 ....take em down.

Jody

Reaction score
A friend of mine makes tops, every time he sees a boat going down the road with the canvas on he smiles and says money in the bank.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A friend of mine tows (at typical highway speeds) with them up all the time. In fact, he hasn't taken them down in 5 years. I've mentioned my concern to him a few times, but it's hard to convince him otherwise when he's been doing it so long this way. But, personally, I wouldn't risk it. Just not worth it for the few minutes it takes to put up and down. As mentioned, though, for lower speed trips - I wouldn't worry about it and just keep them up. As far as the panels are concerned, 45MPH on the highway is the same as 45MPH on the water. Just watch out for tree branches - don't usually run into too many of those on the water!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have on occasion traveled almost 1,000 miles with my side curtains down and done so without incident. I also traveled with my front curtains down, but don't recommend it. One time we did this , we traveled at night down 95 though Georgia. Stayed in a hotel room and woke up the next morning and had one of those of crap moments. The front curtains were coated in the carcaasses of dead flying insects and their internal fluids.

If you roll them up, the front curtains are apt to slide out of their channels and you will no longer own them. As far as the side curtains though there is minimal wind resistance. If they are not tight fitting you could get abrasion between the curtain and tubes of the hardtop.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In cabin till I get to my destination. Don't have to worry about them.