Trick to removing Barnicales?

Bama96

Reaction score
Guys going to pull my boat out after Thanksgiving. I have some growth on my lower units and around the trim cylinders. Also some on the trim tabs. Any trick to getting theses off? I was going to use a pressure washer on them as soon as I pull it out of the water. Any better ideas? There was not bottom paint on the trim tab cylinders or parts of the motors. :x

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Bama, I am pulling my boat on Monday to do the same thing and a couple of others. I will talk to the pros and see that what they say/do.

Bama96

Reaction score
Thanks. This is the first boat I have owned that I have left in the water. It has been in since July. I have cleaned it by hand on a sand bar a few times with a plastic scraper and stiff brush. Too cold for that now. :shock:

dan313

Reaction score
Those little critters are hard to get off when they are alive. Power washing will not do the job. If you wait about a week or 2 they will die and dry out. When that happens you can just scrape them off.

Have fun,

Lenny

Stonewall

Reaction score
Power Wash the best you can, then while they are still wet use a putty knife to scrape the rest of them off. If you wait until they are dry it's like scraping cement. Any last bit of residue will come off with a product called On and Off. Just be careful because this stuff will burn bare skin. Wear plastic gloves and don't breathe the vapors.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Use a piece of wood to knock them off. A metal scraper will scratch the paint or gelcote.

Alibi II

Reaction score
Barnacle Removal

We live in Northern CA and have a minimal problem with barnacles due to the cold water and limited amount of time we keep the boat in the water. We trailer to MX for several weeks and got an introduction to this wonderful problem. We have used scotch brite no scratch pads while the boat is in the water to remove growth on the hull and motors. This gets a lot of it off and then use plastic paint scrapers to remove what is left after we pull it. We usually have a visible stain on the hull at the waterline from stuff in the water. We have been told to try SnoBowl toilet cleaner to quickly remove the stain. I will let you know the results.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Bama, ok had the boat pulled this a.m. Based on the condition of the hull and paint (two years old), it was recommended to paint the whole boat. I wanted the water line painted, the tabs painted (there was almost no paint on them) and and the engine bottoms painted. When we added up the cost of pressure cleaning and acid washing the water line, transom area and bow thruster (which was very crusty), the mechanic said it would be more cost effective to paint today rather than wait until April.
The big issue for me were the trim tabs having almost no paint on them and the thruster.
Since I am doing an engine service and replacing all three of my transducers with upgraded models, and getting a wax and detail for the hull and cabin, I decided to go the whole monty. I am told, and we will see, that the difference is only going to be about $500. So if that's what it is, then I figured rather than touch up, let's get a new bottom on.
If interested, I will post pricing when it all gets finished for comparison purposes.