Trim Assist with Helm Master

DavidNatelson

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
Boat is a 2020 Freedom 325. Just purchased used. When I engage trim assist on the Helm Master the green light blink a few times but does not stay on. Any suggestions on why it won’t engage.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you just purchased the boat, it's possible they never programmed that helm master settings. Look up the programming instructions for your year of helm master and make sure the trim assist has settings for the various RPM ranges. If not, best to take your boat out and note the trim at various speeds that you like and then program those RPM's/Trim settings into the helm master. I'm not certain that this is your issue, but it's a good guess based on when and how helm master tends to work. You get blinking green lights while it tries to engage something and if it can't, it just goes back to no light. That's why I'm (somewhat) guessing that there are no rpm settings for the trim assist. I have a 2021 and at that time, the printed instructions the dealer provided were wrong and didn't allow me to store the settings, but the onboard digital instructions from the yamaha screen were correct and worked for my year/model. Hope this helps - - setting up helm master can be a little tricky and people often get it wrong. Instructions are ok, but you need to follow them step by step. My servicing dealer also said almost 100% of helm master issues were related to incorrect setup.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
PS to my prior post - - my boat is a 2021 Marlin 300 with dual 300's, but helm master is helm master and the model shouldn't matter, but the year will.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Trim assist is like seat adjustments in a car, 1,2,and 3 you check what setting you want to store in memory and trim assist will remember it based on RPM . The Yamaha manual for Helm master is fairly clear on that and I think the onboard manual is the same.
I have never set mine and have not seen the need for it yet.
One lever control is something I use frequently and place the other lever all the way back to not confuse myself while driving. (I have triples though).

H