trim cylinder cap/seal

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
While replacing the plastic intake screen on my port lower unit noticed the seal on one of the trim cylinders was leaking. Ended up putting in about 50cc fluid, everything works fine for now. Just ordered replacement caps with seal and spring assembled and the special tool. Wanted to be sure I had back up if I boogered up the holes taking them off. Gonna be working off the bow of my skiff while boat is up on lift and not looking forward to that. I hear hardest part can be getting them loose. Have a breaker bar with a piece of black pipe extension. Wondering if there are any tips or tricks that might help.
thanks

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’d try a good penetrating oil (kroils brand for example). Rig something to catch any parts below you that might drop (like an upside down umbrella or tarp, also an oil pan for any oil drips). Bring a good lever to help you. Secure your boat so you are as stable as possible on your feet. Good luck!

one other thought - save this repair for when the boat is next on the hard…and just refill the oil periodically until then

Reactions: Halfhitch

seasick

Reaction score
If you got a good tool the caps generally will unscrew. I use tools from Marine Tech Tools
They are expensive but very well made with replaceable hardened pins.

If the caps don't unscrew you may need to use a chisel and a mini sledge to bite into the edge of the cap to turn it. That will usually ruin the cap.

Also check your ram rods. If they are corroded , there is a good chance that new seals will still leak.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I had hard time getting mine loose and had to bring to a mechanic after I stripped out the holes a little. I bought the tool, but I used a socket wrench directly to the tool, I think best to add an extension to tool then the ratchet if that helps (keeps pressure down rather then stripping the holes out)

georgemjr

Reaction score
Can be tough to remove with the tool, especially if it isn't in all four holes and isn't held down -( can strip the holes). I have found the easiest way to remove them, is with an air chisel (might not be an option where you are working). Since the caps aren't too expensive I always buy new and air chisel off in about 15 seconds. I don't even bother to try to remove any other way. The new one is ready to go, I screw it in, job doesn't take 5 minutes total.