Trim Gauge Question- 6y5 Series Gauge

James D

Reaction score
Just re-powered my 2005 Tournament 205 with new Yamaha 2015 F200XB.
When in the full down position, the trim gauge still shows one "dash" at the bottom right of gauge (series 6y5).

I was thinking that when the old Yamaha 200 V6 (2005) model year was in the full down position, there was not a "dash" showing on the gauge.

Can anyone confirm which is correct?

Thanks,
James

Attachments

• 20150529_185311.jpg
    20150529_185311.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 660

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine have always shown 1 bar in full down. Appears to be working as designed.

seasick

Reaction score
Parthery said:
Mine have always shown 1 bar in full down. Appears to be working as designed.
It really doesn't mater whether it shows none or one bar. What is important is that you learn what the trim angle is for various displayed bars. That said, at some point the bars are just a reference point. You learn the proper trim by sound and feel.
Now for the technical info. The trim angle sensor rubs against a cam that is mounted under the motor cowling on the tilt shaft. The cam is adjustable ( it sometimes also comes loose) so you can set it to display whatever you want at whatever angle. The trim sensor lever often gets stuck or gummed up and may not always make contact with the cam in all positions. The sensor lever is spring loaded. If the spring dies, the sensor doesn't read correctly and may display the same reading for different angles.
I suggest you leave it all alone as long as it changes as the motor is tilted. Enjoy!