Trim motors for Yamaha 350’s

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Need to replace the trim motors on my 350’s Dealer say’s we can use after market parts instead of Yamaha original equipment and save at least a third of the cost. They are not pushing just giving me the option. Has anyone used the after market parts, or would I be better off staying with OEM from Yamaha

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Go check out five star marine. You probably only need one thread too LOL.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm surprised, given the relatively young age of the 350s, that they need to be fully replaced. Normally a rebuild would be feasible if they were not too corroded.

seasick

Reaction score
By after market, is the dealer referring to buying parts form the manufacturer that supplies Yamaha?
Also, what exactly is shot, just seals or the whole unit? As mentioned, I would not expect that to happen so soon or to both motors. If it is a known defect, it's new to me.

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
By after market, is the dealer referring to buying parts form the manufacturer that supplies Yamaha?
Also, what exactly is shot, just seals or the whole unit? As mentioned, I would not expect that to happen so soon or to both motors. If it is a known defect, it's new to me.
Corrosion is extremely bad, going to try to rebuild, just looking at all options and options

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Go check out five star marine. You probably only need one thread too LOL.

Thought I erased, glad I could give a laugh

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Now that I have heard several opinions from this forum and other sources I wonder why only the motors are so corroded, to the point we’re there about rusted through. They still work but I sure don’t trust them to continue. The dealer is offering complete after market motors or original Yamaha motors.

seasick

Reaction score
I am surprised and hadn't heard of that problem.
I guess that if there are OEM motors out there, there must be a bigger problem that I was aware of.

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I am surprised and hadn't heard of that problem.
I guess that if there are OEM motors out there, there must be a bigger problem that I was aware of.
I’m not going to just spend money on 2 motors until I find out exactly why these are the only things to be corroded like this, it sits at my residence 1/4 mile from the inlet in Ocean City MD so there surly in heavy salt water. The boat is meticulously cared for and used for offshore fishing exclusivity. For those interested I will post what I find out. Thanks to all the people who give advice and opinions

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
i can tell you that i clean, prime and paint mine every year.
Maybe it finally caught up to me, but it happened this season after owning the Boat since 2012 I guess I may have learned a very expensive lesson. Still would have thought I would have seen it coming. Thank You

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Check your zincs? I moor my boat in salt for 4-5 months every year and they do not corrode all that much. We have really bad barnacles, so I always rub them out and bottom paint (the metal friendly kind!!) so maybe that helps.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check your zincs? I moor my boat in salt for 4-5 months every year and they do not corrode all that much. We have really bad barnacles, so I always rub them out and bottom paint (the metal friendly kind!!) so maybe that helps.

to be clear, not corrosion. just good ole american rust. ron

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
to be clear, not corrosion. just good ole american rust. ron
Going to check everything very closely this weekend and make darn sure I know why this happened. I certainly appreciate all the advise and opinions that come from this forum. Awful lot of good people on here.Tank You

seasick

Reaction score
i can tell you that i clean, prime and paint mine every year.

While you are at it, check that any ground wires connecting the engine bracket to the moving motor section are making good connections.
How are your zinks, bothLU and bracket holding up?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While you are at it, check that any ground wires connecting the engine bracket to the moving motor section are making good connections.
How are your zinks, bothLU and bracket holding up?
nope. just rust on the motor housing. poor design. probably should have been high impact plastic housings.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I think the trim motors are just poorly constructed and if the boat sits in the water it's worse. This is a what it looks like on a set of 2013's I just bought. Fortunately I have a set of newer trim motors from 2018 350's that were stored in a rack. They look fine.
IMG_5664.jpeg

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
OEM are about $800. Seem to be higher quality but will still rust after a while. Aftermarkets are everywhere and are a third the price or less