Trim question

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is my first full season with my F225, while cruising around in Galveston Bay yesterday I was having trouble controlling the bow rise. Is it better to use the motor trim or the trim tabs? What are your thoughts?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not exactly sure what you mean. you'll get bowrise in almost any (planing) boat until you get on plane. are you saying you have bowrise after being on plane? you probably will get a little more rise at start since the 4s are heavier than the 2s.

for me, once i'm on plane i use tabs to level the boat side to side and then engine trim to set the optimum running angle.

tabs in a following sea are a different issue.

ron

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I start with motor trimmed way down, tabs up. Smooth application of throttle sometimes minimizes the rise. Once on plane I trim the motor up for best cruise for conditions (the higher the better, to a point of diminishing return), then I'll add tabs for best ride (but only if needed). Mine is 22' and tabs usually just tweak the ride

Using a fuel flow gage, I found my motor trim has a greater affect on flow than tabs, so that's what I want to get up first. It works for me, not all results will be the same ... :?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Well..I wanted to comment on this, but ElyseM and Curmudgeon have said it all...Nothing left for me to add, darn it..