Trim Stuck; Leaking?

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It took several attempts to get my Yamaha F225 to go down the other day. The tilt was working fine as was the port trim piston. The starboard would not retract. After several attempts, it worked fine the rest of the day.

I'm sure one of you will know exactly what the issue is after looking at the photos (first is the one that was stuck, second is the other -- as if you couldn't tell).

Is this a big deal or an easy fix. Can it wait or should I hold off on using it?

Thanks!!

- Robert

3692392796_934725244c.jpg

3691590191_1057d3185b.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
change the seal
flush the trim fluid out, because it has water in it
I think you are going to find more than a bad seal and some water. There is rust in the oil and rust particles. I expect there to be corrosion inside the cylinder. How did the ram look when it finally extended?

seasick

Reaction score
SwiftCloud said:
Ram looked fine - nothing unusual.

Do I need to rush to fix this?
Check the fluid level in the reservoir. If it is low, top off and see if the trim works better.
If there is water in the fluid, the corrosion will continue to grow, so you want to get out as much air and possible water as possible. You might try draining the system and adding all new trim fluid.

Bill_N

Reaction score
My port engine (F225) did that once last month when I first got to the boat. The trim motor ran but the motor wouldn't go down. I toggled it a few times, waited a minute and then tried it again and it went down.

The trim seals were replaced this spring.

markb8608

Reaction score
follow service maual

Hi
may I suggest purchasing a service manual? Also, don't not attempt to check fliud level with pistions fully retracted. There is about 2000psi in there so the fluid level screw will shoot off like a bullet when you unscrew it.
kind regards
mark