Trim tab access with a eurotransom

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since I would like to put in the Bennett Trim Position Indicators, I need to replace the top of the trim tab. Instructions say to remove the hose from the back... :lol: right...

I cannot see anyway to access the back of the hydraulic tube attaching point. Maybe Grady left enough slack and put in a larger hole to access from the outside of the boat?

Once its off, its not hard - just replace the top of the tube with the ones with the sensors in them, drill an extra hole for the wire (under the existing mount and run to the dash.

I'm not a contortionist so before I remove anything I thought I'd see if anyone has any tips.

Thanks
Greg

Brad1

Reaction score
Greg,

I installed a set of bennetts on a Hydra Sports back about 5 yrs ago. From what I recall, the hydraulic line threads into the top of the actuator and you'd have to remove the top of the actuator from the transom to get to where the line threads in. Surely there will be enough slack in the line (even if it's just a little bit) to accomodate that. You don't access the fitting for the hydraulic lines (where it connects to the actuator) from inside the boat.

Brad

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, the instructions talk of the possibility of there being an elbow there and I didn't want to get it off the transom and have to reseal if I couldn't complete the project. I'll try it next weekend.

catch22

Reaction score
I just installed trim tab indicators back in March.

If you have the "Standard" tabs, you WILL need to disconnect the lines inside the transom area. The "Sport" tabs are different, they have the connection directly on the actuator, (done from outside the boat and sealed inside the transom).

First - retract your tabs all the way up, that way there's no pressure and you won't drip fluid from the lines. Disconnect both lines, remove the elbow from the nipple, and place some masking tape over the nipple. I didn't do this because I simply replaced the nipples, (like I said, this is done inside the boat on the standard tabs). Now remove the 3 screws from the acuators, and carefully pry away the actuators from the transom. Unscrew and replace the actuator tops with the rods. They are spring-loaded and can be a little difficult to screw back together. You'll lose a little fluid too, so you'll have to top it off when your done. Drill hole for cable, and reinstall everything.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
catch22 said:
I just installed trim tab indicators back in March.

If you have the "Standard" tabs, you WILL need to disconnect the lines inside the transom area. The "Sport" tabs are different, they have the connection directly on the actuator, (done from outside the boat and sealed inside the transom).

First - retract your tabs all the way up, that way there's no pressure and you won't drip fluid from the lines. Disconnect both lines, remove the elbow from the nipple, and place some masking tape over the nipple. I didn't do this because I simply replaced the nipples, (like I said, this is done inside the boat on the standard tabs). Now remove the 3 screws from the acuators, and carefully pry away the actuators from the transom. Unscrew and replace the actuator tops with the rods. They are spring-loaded and can be a little difficult to screw back together. You'll lose a little fluid too, so you'll have to top it off when your done. Drill hole for cable, and reinstall everything.

Thanks, the issue is getting to the back of the transom - with the eurotransom access is poor, to say the least.

catch22

Reaction score
There's always the possibility that they did install them with the direct connection, (like sport tabs). The only difference is, a straight fitting is used instead of the nipple and elbow. Is there enough access to atleast see where the lines are? If that's the case, like Brad1 said, hopefully there's enough slack to remove the actuator, swap it out and re-seal it.

nevsatII

Reaction score
I installed the indicators on my Gulfstream last year and was able to pull the actuator away from the transom enough to disconnect the hoses. I had tubing with compression fittings connected directly to the actuators, no pipe nipples.