Trim tab anodes

missnfishin

Reaction score
Help me out here guys. I have a 2002 Grady Tournament 223. It has the factory installed tabs on it. I dont see anywhere what the make is of the tabs and I need to replace the anodes. Where do I start looking??? Thanks!
Dan

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Wow. :oops: Learned somthing new. Never realized. I've only seen the small round anodes on others' boats.

melkat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was told by my dealer that I did not need zincs on the tabs because they were grounded and any electroyisis would be taken up by the other anodes.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Zincs

The tab zincs do burn up during the season. They are the only zincs on my boat that do anything! The U-shaped ones on the motor are barley in the water and all they do is collect marine growth.

missnfishin

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Someone else thought it was a Bennett also. Measurements do fit the approximate 4" x 1" as described by hookup 1. They are badly worn, but the rest of the zincs on the boat look good!

Boats Rock

Reaction score
melkat said:
I was told by my dealer that I did not need zincs on the tabs because they were grounded and any electrolysis would be taken up by the other anodes.

Who is your dealer?

melkat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry for late response, been out of town. My dealer is Taylor Marine. Have had 30 Marlin and this will be 4th season on a 33 Express and the tabs look fine.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady never factory installed anodes on my Bennets, but I added them.
When I added them, the Grady Drive zinc erosion rate lessened.

I agree in part with Taylor in that they do share, however, why take a chance as do they share well?

I've seen transom FF stainless bracket screws eatan way fromn galvanic corrosion, motor zincs did squat.

And I don't think my tabs are grounded, no ground wires inside transom.

But I don't consider the wood transom the tab screws are driven into an insulator, if wood had no moisture natually, it would be sand.

I use the zince block that mounts under the two screws as posted above - the two zincs and two (longer) screws come in one kit bag. About 15 bucks.

The big Yamaha zinc under the motor transom brackets may last multiseason, after two complete seasons, my zinc was plenty intact.
I'm on a 2 yr scheduel for those, the tab zinc is well wasted, and the drive zinc not bad.

I disagree on the big Yamaha zinc, mine are buried underwater at the dock, if they were not, they wouldn't work.