Trim tab- anti fouling paint and zincs

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I always have barnacled trim tabs by the end of the season. This season was really bad. WHen I bought the boat they were painted with hard bottom paint and I just covered that with ablative. That wasn't very good. I wire brushed all the bottom paint off and sprayed with Primocon and then Trilux. That didn't last. Plain old copper ablative brushed on worked better. I tried Pettit HRT spray. That worked well on the motor brackets but didn't work at all on the tabs...It disappeared. Maybe I have to get down to metal again and prime again? I have had no success with any kind of spray. I hear that copper paint shouldn't be used on SS? The zinc sprays do not work. Anybody have something different?

Zincs- my tabs have 3 3/4" rudder discs with one screw in the middle and they sandwich the tab from both sides. A couple times a zinc came slightly loose and spun. I want to get rid of the part that is on the running surface. Maybe drill another hole and use a rectanglular piece only on top. Was thinking maybe move the motor zinc bars to the tabs after one season and put new on the motors (I always replace the motor zincs even though they have another season in them)

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Can't help you with the zincs but I can tell you that you are not the only one who struggles with growth on their trim tabs. It seems nothing really wants to stick very well to the SS. I use my ablative bottom paint at the beginning of the season (Late April) and then clean them off a few times a year starting maybe late June. My tabs are easily accessible though.....only a few inches underwater at the dock. I can see where it might be a huge hassle on a bigger boat.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You can use copper on SS as long as it has a barrier coat. Preferably an epoxy barrier coat. You just have to isolate the copper from the SS. Mine were coated this way when i bought it. No growth at all. Epoxy primer and ablative paint over top. It was a b#tch to remove. :)

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
This is going to sound really stupid, but I've used Desitin diaper rash cream on my trim tabs. The longest I ever keep my boat in the water is 2-3 weeks at a time, but if I apply the stuff at the beginning of the season, it's still there and effective at the end of the season.

Is it the best solution? Probably not, but it's really easy to apply and clean off if you don't want to permanently alter your trim tabs.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i give the marina a jar of cayenne pepper to add to the paint for the thruster, tabs and motor brackets. i think the paint they use is Pacifica. seems to be doing the trick. good luck, ron

and i don't use zincs on the tabs.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Can't help you with the zincs but I can tell you that you are not the only one who struggles with growth on their trim tabs. It seems nothing really wants to stick very well to the SS. I use my ablative bottom paint at the beginning of the season (Late April) and then clean them off a few times a year starting maybe late June. My tabs are easily accessible though.....only a few inches underwater at the dock. I can see where it might be a huge hassle on a bigger boat.
Aren't Bennett Trim Tabs made of aluminum??

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Skunk, check out propspeed. They make a few products . Guys down at the marina put it on all their running gear in big sportfishers. I have seen it on the trim tabs. Its not cheap but what is with boats

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
On both of my Gradys, I have just used regular bottom paint on the tabs. currently hydrocoat(10+ years) . I get no growth at all on the tabs. I do get some muscles on the actuators between the actuator and the hull, but nothing on the tabs. Never boat has Zincs on the tabs either. Boat is in the water from late April through November.

D.D.

Reaction score
I use Prop Glide from the Bottom Paint Store. About 1/3 cost of prop speed and I have had excellent results.

BobbyMac

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
For 15 years I had a Albin 28 with LOTS of underwater metals, and LOTS of barnacles on metals.
Pettit Paints Tech Support were AWESOME.
The key to preventing barnacles etc, was to use a NON-COPPER anti-fouling paint. ( Hydrocoat Eco, water based). (Easy clean-up)
Simply put, other copper paints on metals, in salt water, sets up an electrical/electrolysis current PREVENTING THE COPPER FROM LEACHING OUT AND DO IT’S JOB.
RESULT: Barnacles etc.
There are several Pettit undercoatings to choose from for the metals, then put 2:coats of Hydrocoat Eco on everything below the waterline. No more barnacles.
You can also use Pettit Vivid (non-copper) but it is solvent based.
Use Pettit Tech Support