Trim Tab Auto Retract Feature?

bjflink

Reaction score
Grady White, on their website says all GW's that have trim tabs come with an auto-retract when the engines are powered down. Has this always been a standard feature, or does it only apply to newer models? I have a 2000 306 and have not tested mine yet, but was curious to know if anyone knew the answer to this... Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
bjflink said:
Grady White, on their website says all GW's that have trim tabs come with an auto-retract when the engines are powered down. Has this always been a standard feature, or does it only apply to newer models? I have a 2000 306 and have not tested mine yet, but was curious to know if anyone knew the answer to this... Thanks
Have you used the boat?
Start the motor ( you don't even have to do that but it doesn't hurt. You just need the ignition on) trim the tabs down. Turn off the motor (ignition) and the tabs should automatically trim up all the way

bjflink

Reaction score
Thanks! Was going to try this, but wont be back to the boat for a couple of weeks and my curiosity was getting to me. Wanted to know if anyone could confirm this feature existed on older model Grady's.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
I think the website detail predominantly means "new" boats. Our boat, 2002 282, also does not have auto retract trim tabs. I'd bet that's 2005-06-ish and newer, only.

seasick

Reaction score
Sharkbait282 said:
I think the website detail predominantly means "new" boats. Our boat, 2002 282, also does not have auto retract trim tabs. I'd bet that's 2005-06-ish and newer, only.
True but perhaps the tabs were added later or retrofitted to auto retract. Anything is possible:)

bjflink

Reaction score
Thanks gents. As soon as I get back to the boat in a week or so I'll test and report back. Original tabs, so I'm betting as well that the auto-retract option probably didnt kick in until newer models.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the auto retract is actually a separate module, so you can put one in if not there already. ron

seasick

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
the auto retract is actually a separate module, so you can put one in if not there already. ron
Ron, Why didn't I say that! yes it is a separate module and would be obvious. duh...

Jambo

Reaction score
Bennett sells a trim tab retractor for $54 (Amazon). My question: do I need this on my tournament 225? Do owners with 225s and older manual retract trim tabs "want" auto retract? Or is this just a good to have if you trailer regularly?
Please let me know. This will be a new boat to come spring '17.
Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is primarily a personal preference thing - also not really based on a particular boat. Here are some reasons why some like it, but keep in mind that you can always do it manually. I've had tabs on many boats and only this Grady has the auto-tab retract. Me? I wouldn't care if I had it or not.

-- If the bunks of a trailer stick out such that the tabs would contact the bunks.
-- High-n-Dry storage where the tractor lifts the boat and/or the skids the boat sits on in it's little hole.
-- Other reasons like above
-- Some just like that the tabs always retract to the fully retracted position. I actually almost always use a little tab, so I'd probably prefer that they don't always reset.

Main point - personal preference. :mrgreen:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have auto retract, wouldn't worry me if I didn't but I like the LED indicators so I know where my tabs are at any time .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
wrxhoon said:
but I like the LED indicators so I know where my tabs are at any time .

I could definitely get onboard with having that feature. I'd take that over engine trim. Actually, my engine trim hasn't worked for years and I haven't missed it (bum switch on engine bracket). If I listen closely or count (correctly) I know when the tabs are fully down - but it would be convenient to have the display.

Jambo

Reaction score
Ignition switch question with Bennett AR512

I have an older Bennett trim tab system on my 2005 225 Tournament. The Bennett AR512 auto retractor is designed to activate every time the engine is turned off (10-15 seconds of retraction pump). Can anyone think of a way I can wire the AR512 to activate only when I remove the key from the ignition, and not when I turn off the engine. The fuse sub panel (radio, GPS, etc) is active when the battery is on and the ignition off. So maybe I can wire the AR512 from that source.
Any ideas? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Chris

seasick

Reaction score
Re: Ignition switch question with Bennett AR512

Jambo said:
I have an older Bennett trim tab system on my 2005 225 Tournament. The Bennett AR512 auto retractor is designed to activate every time the engine is turned off (10-15 seconds of retraction pump). Can anyone think of a way I can wire the AR512 to activate only when I remove the key from the ignition, and not when I turn off the engine. The fuse sub panel (radio, GPS, etc) is active when the battery is on and the ignition off. So maybe I can wire the AR512 from that source.
Any ideas? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Chris

There is no signal that would indicate the key is inserted versus removed. The auto retract logic uses the 'ignition' voltage as a signal to either operate the tabs normally (ignition on) or retract, ignition off. In theory the ignition signal for the autoretract logic could be wired to something else that is normally powered on when the motors are not. So you could use a spare breaker to power that lead. If wired like that the breaker when turned off would cause the tabs to retract ( as long as accessory power is still on). If the switch was left OFF, the tabs would not retract at all. The down side is that you would have to remember to turn off that breaker switch, wait for the retraction, and then turn off the battery switches. What you have is a Retraction dissabler switch. If you are going to do that, you might as well not have the auto retract feature at all and just use the individual trim tab switches:)

Jambo

Reaction score
Very thoughtful answer. Many thanks!
Here is a very wacky thought.... How about I wire the trim tab 12v power directly to the battery and the trim tab auto retractor to the 12v power on the switched side of the A-B battery switch. Then, when I shut off the battery, which I do every time I leave the boat, the tabs will retract.
On the other hand, maybe I just put a note in my shutdown procedures to raise the trim tabs. :-|

seasick

Reaction score
Jambo said:
Here is a very wacky thought.... How about I wire the trim tab 12v power directly to the battery and the trim tab auto retractor to the 12v power on the switched side of the A-B battery switch. Then, when I shut off the battery, which I do every time I leave the boat, the tabs will retract.
On the other hand, maybe I just put a note in my shutdown procedures to raise the trim tabs. :-|

I was going to suggest something similar to that but decided that there could be some possible issues. I don't know if the autoretract module draws power from the trim tab side ( not the ignition signal). If it does you could run down the battery. You would also have to add fusing protection to the tab feed similar to the bilge pump wiring. Finally if something were to fail and the tab pump stays on forever, that might cause overheating damage as well as running down the battery.

Mclorite

Reaction score
I upgraded my tabs this year on a 1999 Gulfstream and wired the auto retract feature to a rocker switch on the dash. I hit the switch and the tabs become active and I use them with the indicator module provided and then if I wanted them retracted I turn the switch off and they auto retract. I find it very convient when taking off with the tabs all the way down to keep the bow down and then hit the switch and they retract.

LB2141

Reaction score
seasick said:
Jambo said:

I was going to suggest something similar to that but decided that there could be some possible issues. I don't know if the autoretract module draws power from the trim tab side ( not the ignition signal). If it does you could run down the battery. You would also have to add fusing protection to the tab feed similar to the bilge pump wiring. Finally if something were to fail and the tab pump stays on forever, that might cause overheating damage as well as running down the battery.

I tried it. This is exactly what happened to me. The draw from the module killed my battery after about 48 hours.

Jambo

Reaction score
Thanks all. The most obvious answer is simply "trim tab behavior" by the skipper. With that said, Mclorite has a reasonable suggestion using an available dash rocker. With that mod, I would like to better understand how the wiring to the dash toggle is setup. I suspect, since the AD512 retract module assesses whether there is hot ignition power and when not hot activates tab retraction for 10-15 seconds, the toggle switch interrupts the AR512 wiring to the "ignition hot". Can you advise on which "orange" wire (or both) are switched by the dash toggle? I will also reach Bennett to see if they have a wiring schematic for the AR512. I think this is a simple device but I need to be more confident in how to install. Many thanks again.

Attachments

• auto-tab-retractor-wiring.jpg
    auto-tab-retractor-wiring.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 24