Trim Tab Indicator

merlin25

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Seafarer 226 and considering buying and installing Bennet 12 x 9 trim tabs. My question is whether an indicator that shows the tab position is useful? essential? Seems like it would help to know where the tab is rather than just the basic rocker switch?

Also anything tricky about installing the trim tabs?

Thanks

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Trim Tabs

Hi There
We put a set of Bennet tabs on our 2008 Tournament 185, made a huge differance to operating the boat but I did not go with the indicators. In hind site I wish that I had as it is VERY helpfull to know where the tabs are in certain situations. Once underway and adjusting the tabs, you are going by feel and need and indicators are probably less useful, but on other occasions I would like to have looked at the indicators to know where the tabs are at. In our new Tournament 225 on order for spring delivery, the tabs are standard WITH indicators and retractor so the tabs go to the up position automatically when the boat is shut down for docking etc. This is helpfull as well as I have a boat lift with my slip and was always carefull to make sure the tabs were all the way up, and again the indicators would have been beneficial. On the new boat, no more second guessing. For the bit more you will pay, I highly recomend the indicators with automatic retractors.
Bukster

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree totally with Ed. They would be very nice to have to know when you need to raise them but I wouldn't consider them essential. I don't have indicators on my tabs and just have to remember to raise them before the boat is pulled.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got the indicator switch also with mine. It did not make sense not to. Was not that much more as a package deal with the sport tabs. Have not installed yet, will be doing that in about 2 weeks. Will let you know what problems I run into.

grady23

Reaction score
YES --- As well you should consider the auto-retract system that returns the tabs to the FULL UP position when the key is turned off. This as well if you trailer. Should you forget to retract the tabs and load the boat on the trailer, you risk damaging the tabs should they hit while loading.
Just a thought!

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A none issue. Once you get used to using them it doesn't matter where they are. Retract when you're in port, run them down to trim when you need them. I thought the indicator would be of help, but soon forgotten.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have digital indicators on our Tournament 225. It is true that the indicators aren't really necessary, although handy. The auto-retract feature when the engine is turned off is VERY helpful to us though. We back in to the beach quite often, and I usually raise the tabs anyway, but with a bunch of kids yappin' at me, it would be easy to forget. When i kill the engine about 15 feet out and drift back to the beach, they are safely up by the time I get close, even if I forgot to check...

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can see where the autoretract feature would be more helpful than the indicator. Unfortunately, I have neither. :(

JeffN

Reaction score
I have never had them on my boat and don't feel I need them. I have been having my son run the boat and he feels that they would be useful. I checked into them and decided I don't want to go to the trouble or expense to install the indicators. I just retract them before I back into my slip. I suppose they are like a gas gauge on a motorcyle. Rode bikes for years with no gas gauge I just reset the trip meter each fill up and never ran out of gas. Now my bike has a gas gauge and I use that. So if they are cheap on a new install go for them but I don't think they are necessary, nice to have perhaps but not necessary. The auto retract feature would not be useful for me as the boat is in a slip and I have to retract them before I back in.