Trim Tab Indicator

Billy273

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I have a 2008 Grady White 273 Chase, My trim tab indicator light has started acting up. It indicates that the tabs are down even when they are up. If you cut the boat off the tabs auto retract but upon turning the ignition back on it indicates that they are down, or that one or the other is down.

Bennett has discontinued the TPI2000 indicator and I have not had any success finding a NOS replacement.

After repeatedly emailing Bennett with no response I am looking for options. Has anyone run into this and what was the solution. Will one of the new switches with built in indicators work for this application and replace the switch with the built in indicator style. I could leave the old indicator in the upper dash to fill the hole for the time being.

Any help is appreciated.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Surprised to hear that you've had issue getting in touch with Bennett, that has never been my experience. You might try calling them?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if it's the indicator with 2 buttons on top and 2 on bottom, just go thru the reset process. that should clear it up unless the senders are actually bad. good luck, ron

Reactions: Halfhitch

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How long has it been since you emailed them? You gotta understand that businesses are in a tough bind right now. They have decreased staff, increased demand for product, less availability of parts/supplies... They're doing their best, but patience will help. As mentioned, also try calling and talking directly to them.

Have you verified that the hydraulic rams are actually moving? Otherwise, check your manual for the procedure that Elyse mentioned. You might be able to find it on Bennett's website, too,

Billy273

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Finally received an email response from Bennett after getting Grady Customer Service involved. In talking with Grady apparently Yamaha bought Bennett.

Completely understand all of the business being in a bind as I deal with it daily.

The hydraulic portion is working as it should just the indicator is the issue. I will try the reset process and see if that helps. Checking ohms on the senders as well to make sure that they are not the issue.

If the indicator is in fact bad has anyone replaced the tab switch with the integrated indicator type? Trying to determine if that is a like kind replacement but did not get a definitive answer from Bennett on that.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There was a guy called Tabman on THT, unfortunately he passed away. He was really super helpful.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm a n00b so salt heavily but... My indicators are tiny red LEDs. Guess who is red color blind? Me, that's who. I looked into trying to get the indicator info on a screen, people told me to just play with the tabs, told me they are slow to react so do a 1 one thousand hold and see
what it does. So I do that and I mostly make them do what I want with no indicators. I've stopped thinking about the indicators because I could never see them.

Good luck!

Reactions: Ridge Runner

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I believe you can just get the electronic component of the system if needed. I'd continue to work with Bennet and strike while the iron is hot. They should be able to help you out.