trim tab issue

cgrace1996

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello All,

new to this forum, have an issue with trim tabs on my 1996 sailfish. When i push to send either tabs or done they will work for about 10 seconds then pop the accessory fuse on the dash, I need to wait a minute reset and do again, happens every time and has com to the point I don't even use them, would like to fix them, just looking for some input.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello All,

new to this forum, have an issue with trim tabs on my 1996 sailfish. When i push to send either tabs or done they will work for about 10 seconds then pop the accessory fuse on the dash, I need to wait a minute reset and do again, happens every time and has com to the point I don't even use them, would like to fix them, just looking for some input.
Please fix this - not sure what you mean. You ARE allowed to proofread what you write before clicking submit ;)

But, generally speaking, the fuse can blow/pop for a few reasons that you'll need to check into.

-- Trying to put one side up and the other down at the same time
-- Corroded electrical connections.
-- Hydraulic cylinders that are bound up. With them fully retracted, you should be able to (with some force) manually deploy them fully by pushing down on the tab. They should then release and go back to full deployment easily.
-- Something physically stopping the tabs from moving.

seasick

Reaction score
Need a better description of the wiring but the pump should be connected to a fuse on the fuse block under the dash. The fuse for a trim pump should be 20 amp min.
That said, when you say you have to wait 10 minutes, that sounds like a circuit breaker, not a fuse. The trim pump generally would not be on a breaker but could ne I suppose. If so, the breaker could be going bad.

If the 'thing' you have to reset is the main accessory breaker which would be located near the battery, those are known to go bad over time. If it is that breaker that is tripping than all accessories will stop working when it pops

Reactions: SkunkBoat

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Please fix this - not sure what you mean. You ARE allowed to proofread what you write before clicking submit ;)

But, generally speaking, the fuse can blow/pop for a few reasons that you'll need to check into.

-- Trying to put one side up and the other down at the same time
-- Corroded electrical connections.
-- Hydraulic cylinders that are bound up. With them fully retracted, you should be able to (with some force) manually deploy them fully by pushing down on the tab. They should then release and go back to full deployment easily.
-- Something physically stopping the tabs from moving.
Did you proofread before you posted?;) I think you meant, go back to full retraction easily.