trim tab issue

BryanPast91

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
so just bought a 2004 fisherman 222 and the trim tabs are not working. they look original so thinking it might be the pump or the fuse if there is one. should i look into fixing it or get a new trim tab system

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Also check the ground wire at the pump. For some reason Bennett didn't bring the ground wire up to the switches.

If the fuse is good have a helper on the switches and you put your hand on the pump. There are two reversing solenoids and a pump motor. As they work the switch you should feel them click and the motor run.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
do you hear anything when you hit the switch?

BryanPast91

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Also check the ground wire at the pump. For some reason Bennett didn't bring the ground wire up to the switches.

If the fuse is good have a helper on the switches and you put your hand on the pump. There are two reversing solenoids and a pump motor. As they work the switch you should feel them click and the motor run.
ok once i get the boat back to the house ill check all that hopfully i can get it all working

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
As Dennis said these pumps are very reliable. Start with power problem. Check fuse. Put a voltmeter on the switch - other end of volt meter to ground/black/common near fuse block.

Last edited:

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
The tabs are a bit slow to react when you hit the toggle switch...do you see the trim indicator lights changing?

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The actuator switch itself is somewhat prone to failure. New ones are about $80.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Bennett trim tabs are pretty simple. There are 5 wires at the switch, and the pump is grounded separately.

Orange wire is your 12 volt supply. If you touch any of the other wires to 12 volts, here's what will happen:

Red wire will open the valve for the port side tab
Green wire will open the valve for the starboard side valve
Blue wire will turn the pump on to push tabs down
Yellow wire will turn the pump on in the opposite direction to retract the tabs.

Simple things first... here's what I would do... if you have access to the inline fuse on the orange wire, check that first. If not, pull the switch out and check to see if you have 12 volts on the orange wire. Assuming you have 12 volts on the orange wire, I would then hotwire the red and green wires to 12 volts. That should open up both valves, so leave both wires connected. You may or may not hear the valves open. Then hotwire the blue wire to 12 volts. This should turn on the pump. If the pump turns on, you've got a bad control switch or corroded contacts where the wires are attached to the back of the switch. If the pump still doesn't work, you've either got a wiring problem downstream from the switch or the pump is bad.

FWIW, I installed Bennett trim tabs on my 208 more than 20 years ago and the only maintenance I've ever had to do is replace the control switch. Good luck! You should be able to figure it out.

white diamond

Reaction score
so just bought a 2004 fisherman 222 and the trim tabs are not working. they look original so thinking it might be the pump or the fuse if there is one. should i look into fixing it or get a new trim tab system
Mine quit working and it turned out to be an electrical problem at the main fuse block.