Trim-tab model 1990 Explorer 24

CaptC94

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Hello all,
It’s time to replace the trim tabs on my 90 explorer 24. It has an Armstrong bracket with twin 150 Yamaha 4 strokes. Does anyone know the model of trim tabs that came from the factory?

i would like to put the same ones on it so the hole patterns all line up excuse me if I’m ignorant but I’m unsure if all actuators are universal.

thanks

CaptC94

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
They're Bennetts. What's wrong with them that can't just be fixed?
One is completely missing, pumps gone bad. Probably just going to replace everything since they are original

CaptC94

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Any idea on a model number or updated version? I have no issue with a retro fit but another owner wants the same ones to a t

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Best thing is to take some measurements and pictures of the remaining hydraulic ram and call Bennett directly. They'll make sure you get the right thing. They're a very good company to deal with.

CaptC94

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Best thing is to take some measurements and pictures of the remaining hydraulic ram and call Bennett directly. They'll make sure you get the right thing. They're a very good company to deal with.
Will do thanks for the help

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hello all,
It’s time to replace the trim tabs on my 90 explorer 24. It has an Armstrong bracket with twin 150 Yamaha 4 strokes. Does anyone know the model of trim tabs that came from the factory?

i would like to put the same ones on it so the hole patterns all line up excuse me if I’m ignorant but I’m unsure if all actuators are universal.

thanks
So I don't know about your explorer, but I know that Grady tends to put tabs on that are smaller than Bennett wants. I had 9x12 and upgraded to 12x18 and they work a lot better. So I wouldn't worry about stock, I'd figure out the biggest ones you can put on there and do that.

Don't worry about the hole pattern, mine changed. What I did was to fill the old holes with 3M 5200 (epoxy would be better I learned after the fact) and then marked the new holes, drilled them, ran the screws in a bit to "tap" them, then covered the back of the hinge with plenty of 4200 and screwed them down. Cleaned up all the 4200 that squeezed out. Worked great. I did have to cut the hinge a bit to fit around a scupper but that is no big deal (see pic).

tabs.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
To Lucky's point - it is never a bad idea to upsize the tabs, if possible. Trim tab "span" has a greater impact on performance than "chord".

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
To Lucky's point - it is never a bad idea to upsize the tabs, if possible. Trim tab "span" has a greater impact on performance than "chord".
Agreed. Though "upsize" might be "right size" when it comes to Grady boats. Go to Bennett's web site and see what they recommend, in my experience it is much larger than what Grady puts on.

I'm not sure why because even the tiny ones that Grady puts on will spin the boat around if you put one side down too far. Maybe the bigger ones spin you even more and Grady thought it was a safety thing?

I started out not using my trim tabs, not understanding them. Magicbill nudged me to learn, then my ocean nudged me harder, I upgraded to bigger ones and learned how to use them. I initially was dismayed at the red indicators that show you how far they are down (I can't see that little red, have only 10% of the quantity of red cones in my eyes compared to normal) but Magicbill and others are spot on, after you use them a while you just feel if it is right or wrong. Works just fine with bigger tabs.