trim tab problem - 208

boslaw

Reaction score
My Bennett trim tabs suddenly stopped working today. Neither tab moves at all, and I'm pretty sure I don't hear anything from the pump. When I try to move them manually (by pulling and pushing on the tabs themselves), they don't move at all.

This all leads me to believe that my problem may be electrical. Does that sound right? Maybe a blown fuse?

The Grady manual says that the pump is located in the starboard storage berth but I can't see anything there. Could I be looking in the wrong place? There's only one "storage" area in the starboard side of the cabin, and it's empty. I don't know if these were factory installed (my boat is a 1997 208). I checked the Bennett website and I see what the pump should look like.

Assuming it's a fuse problem, where would the fuse be? Do I have to pop the switches off the dashboard, or do I have to locate the pump?

Thanks again, in advance. You guys have been extremely helpful so far with my new (used) boat!

Average Joe

Reaction score
My pump is located under the port aft jump seat. Usually a problem like that is electrical in nature. If it's a blown fuse you need to find out what caused it.

catch22

Reaction score
The fuse and the + and ground connections are the most common problems.

There's an orange wire on the back of the rocker switch's. That's the + supply. Bennett supplies an inline fuse for it, but it might not have been be used. It may be connected to a fuse, on the fuse block under the dash. Trace that orange wire to find the fuse, and also check the connection itself, (loose spade?).

The black ground wire comes directly from the pump. It is seperate from the harness. Trace it and check it's connection.

One thing that can blow the fuse is, if someone pressed one switch down and the other up at the same time. :oops:

boslaw

Reaction score
Thanks.

I've pressed one switch down and the other up at the same time. Hopefully that caused the problem and it's a simple fix. I guess I should have tried to learn more about how to use them before messing around.

I see two pumps under my port aft jump seat, but neither look like the Bennett pumps I've seen online. The one under my port aft seat looks almost like an oil filter (it's not the oil filter though). It has that same cylindrical shape. I originally thought it was the Bennett pump because it looks like it has some wires or tubes going through the hull directly to the actuators, but then I second guessed it because of the pictures I've seen online with square-ish smoked plastic covers.

Do the rocker switches typically pop off the dash? There's sort of a trim piece around the base that I'm guessing could be removed. I'm afraid of breaking the switch and potentially causing more damage. I have to try and locate the fuse box under my dash.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I would check the fuse 1st before you get into pulling rocker switches. It's a glass barrel fuse (don't know the amps) and labeled on the fuse block. Mine is behind the mirror in the cuddy '92 228.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boslaw...if you pressed one up and one down at the same time, then you answered your own question. The fuse is popped. Bennett makes a safety interrupter that you can add to the system if you anticipate that you will be pressing both buttons at the same time.

If you look underneath the dash, I believe you will see the fuse inline in the switch wiring. If not, you can follow the wiring to the fuse panel. Replace the fuse and you should be back in business.

The pump itself is probably under the starboard side cushion in the cabin...all the way to the back of the compartment. You may have to get down and stick your head in the compartment to see it as its slid back in there. The two pumps in the aft well that you see are probably the raw water washdown and the livewell.

catch22

Reaction score
I think the newer rocker switch does have a bezel over it. It snaps off. But, like Plymouthgrady said, I would try to avoid removing the switch. Just try to locate the fuse.

Bennett trim tab pump -
bennett_trim_tab_pump.jpg

Try tracing the hydraulic lines, from the transom. If they go into the rigging tube, (usually starboard side) then your pump is probably in the cabin storage compartment.

PA228G

Reaction score
My 2 Cents

Or -- Mine stopped working last week because the small orange wire on the auto retractor which locks the tabs up when the key is turned off fatigued and failed right at the control box. Called Bennett and they offered to replace the retractor control as a warranty covered item if I send it back (the controller has a 3 year warranty) since I've only owned the boat for 18 months - even though the boat is 14 years old! Can't beat that for customer service :D .

boslaw

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, it was the fuse. I'm back in business!