Trim Tab Pump/Motor

guido

Reaction score
Hi Guys! One of my trim tabs (Bennett) does not operate. The port tab works fine, its the starboard tab that won't move. I have read posts about what to check for I just am wondering where the actual pump is located. I am guessing in the bildge/stearn area. I can't get to that area until I take the cover off, but I was curious. Thanks!

John

seasick

Reaction score
If one works OK, it's not the pump.You may have a bad switch or solenoid. Most likely culprit is bad elec connection or bad switch. Solenoid is next

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Guido: You can also chat with "Tabman" (from Bennet) on 'thehulltruth.com'. Tabman is very helpful.

Rob

Topwater

Reaction score
I had a problem once, long ago with Bennett's and the problem was the ground. It usually is a ground that makes most electrical problems on a boat. Try a lead with clips from the negative battery post directly to the solenoid case. If it works start looking for the grounding... er or lack thereof.
Contact Bennett. They are the very best in the biz with customer support. You wont be sorry you talked with them.

guido

Reaction score
Do you know where the selenoid box is located. I expect that it will be in the transome area. I can't get to it right now with the cover on. It comes off tomorrow and I can look then.

Thanks,
John

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
John, if you need some help give me a shout, I had this happen 2 year's ago and it was a bad switch. Being my boat was a 2002 Bennet sent me a replacement for free since I was covered under their 5 year warranty. You can test by switching the wires to see if it will then retract, if so your switch is bad, if not you have a bad solenoid somewhere. The switch is very easy to replace, I think replacement price is around $80, or it was atleast when I had mine go. If you need some help give me a shout and I can give you a hand Fri or Sat. As far as location, the pump will likely be located near the helm or near the transom, Grady typically located them as close to the helm as possible, but not sure where on a CC, the location would be provided in your owners manual though in the wiring/hose diagrams. There should be a diagram just for hydraulics if I am correct.

Also, do you hear the pump when you hit the switch, typically if you do not, the switch is bad, if you do and nothing happens you have a bad solenoid. Your pump should not be the issue since the one tab works, and the pump works in both directions to both deploy and retract that tab, no different for the other side, just the line it moves fluid through.

guido

Reaction score
Tom I appreciate your offer. Lets see if I can figure it out, if not then I may have to take you up on your generous offer.

Thank you,
John