Trim tab question for 20ft. Overnighter

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Bennett recommends 18"x9" for a 20 foot boat. We have 12x9's on our Adventure that work well. I've always been a fan of Bennett, and their customer service is about as good as can be. I've also heard good things about Lenco tabs, but have no experience with them.

catch22

Reaction score
I recomend Bennett too. I've had them on several boats, imo, you can't beat them. As OnoEric said, 12 x 9's are fine.
You should check out their sport tabs too. They're a little smaller, but have the same performance, and they're easier to install.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
tabs

I have the Bennett M120 Sport Tabs on my 228 (bracket) and I love them. Instant response and get me up on plane in no time w/ minimal bow rise. I think the M80's will be a little small for your boat..

Seahunter

Reaction score
From the camp of more is almost always better I put 12 x 12 on my 204. With your motor on a bracket your going to need all the help you can getting your butt up out of the water.

The 12x 12 takes up the same amount of transom space yet gives you 30% more surface area (lift) in the process.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have tabs, but my PERMATRIM is more effective on getting on plane. In fact, my boat will plain at about 9-10kts. I mostly only use the tabs for side-to-side leveling, the permatrim does the rest.

For less than a couple of hundred, consider trying one of these first:
www.permatrimmarine.com
Makes that motor-trim button VERY effective. You can really dial in the thrust with one of these. I wasn't so excited about it at first, but having lived with it for the last couple of seasons it's a really handy tool.

They come from New Zealand, Andy at SIM has them, he's the north-american importer and distributor.
Easy install, however you do have to drill thru the caviation plate on the motor. I winced once on my brand new F150 :wink:

Here's Andy's forum on THT for Permtrim: http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/foru ... asp?fid=12

seabob4

Reaction score
Interested in Lenco 12 X 9s? Complete kit, $440, includes shipping. Far superior to Bennett, includes auto-retract. Let me know. NIB. All deutcsh connectors.