Trim tab question

Vince

Reaction score
2001 268 Islander, my trim tabs work up and down, but go extremely slow, like 30 to 40 seconds to go out and In. They also dont seem to extend very far, maybe 2 inches is this common?
I just topped fluid and used my foot to try and extend further but they won't go further and the motor stops at that point20200519_112210.jpg

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's about as far as mine go down - are you used to seeing more throw than that? Seems like plenty. That said, if they're sluggish or weak, you could have some air in the lines. It's fairly easy and a good idea to bleed them. I just disconnected tabs, spun the actuators off the nipples, and ran fluid through until I was sending new out into the catch pan. Got a few bubbles out and picked up performance to boot.

May or may not help, but if it's been a while bleeding can't hurt.

seasick

Reaction score
The time for a full swing is typical. The angle in the picture looks OK too but the real question is whether they trim your boat at speed. I suspect they will work fine.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To remove air from the system there is no need to disconnect anything or open the system at all. As per Bennetts instructions, merely cycle the the tabs through 2 or 3 full cycles from fully retracted to fully extended. That will remove any air in the system.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
True, but that doesn't change out the fluid. I did it the way I described, as I'm willing to bet that my fluid was OE - i.e. 21 years old. There may be no reason for OP to do that though...