Trim Tab Rebuild

langski93

Reaction score
Has anyone rebuilt a hydraulic actuator from Bennett? The fellow from Bennett was helpful on the phone, but he basically told me to go out and buy a new one. I am not trying to be cheap, but I would hate to find out I just needed to buy a $6 "O" ring. Any guidance or sourcing info is very much appreciated. The complete actuator part number is A1101A, so its pretty standard stuff.

langski

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yes, I have done this in the past and ended up buying a new one. I bought a O-ring kit and installed them. It leaked less but still leaked. I think at some point the plastic can get out of round and it just won't seal.

I would still try to give it a shot. You might get lucky and save yourself $90 for 10min of work. Follow the Bennett instructions and it's a quick repair. You will need a hose clamp.

seasick

Reaction score
Last time I looked, the actuators were not as expensive as I had expected but as you mentioned, a lot more than an o-ring kit. The real issue though is the condition of the existing shafts. If there is any corrosion, wear spots, grooves or the like, they will most likely leak again after rebuild. So take a good look (you have to unscrew the caps and pull the pistons out so that you can inspect the last shaft condition nearest the piston.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Last time I looked, the actuators were not as expensive as I had expected but as you mentioned, a lot more than an o-ring kit. The real issue though is the condition of the existing shafts. If there is any corrosion, wear spots, grooves or the like, they will most likely leak again after rebuild. So take a good look (you have to unscrew the caps and pull the pistons out so that you can inspect the last shaft condition nearest the piston.

It's really hard to tell if anything is off unless its completely broken. It's just a bunch of plastic. I believe Grady or the original dealer installed my actuator incorrectly. Looks like it has a little more pressure on one side and made the tube deform. It would only weep but enough to make a film on the water. Maybe I'll get another 25 years :)

Willy-C

Reaction score
Great talking with you today Langski, I’ll let you know when those seals come in.
-WC-