Trim Tab Sensitive 330

Wally World

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2002 330 express and have noticed that the boat is very sensitive to the touch of the trim tabs. /my prior boat was a Proline 33 Walk and was not as sensitive and I guess I need to get used to the handling.
While going out this weekend the boat got caught up in a small swell and took a turn that was hard to get out of, I am guessing it may have to do with the way the boat was trimmed? Does any 330 owners have suggestions on the way they trim their boats in what kind of sea? I have not had a longer then 5 mile ride as of yet to really play with the performance and wont be able to for a couple weeks but looking for any helpful information on trimming the 330 correctly. Following sea, head sea, starboard quarter... etc.
The handling of this boat versus the prior 33 Proline is extremely different in every way possible and I need more time with it.

Thank you

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While never running a 330, I can speak about the 272 and 300 which should be similar. The issue you had sounds like bow steer which can be caused by a deep v digging in when seas push on the stern, causing lift, and cause the boat to turn starboard or port as the bow gets forced down. Here is how I use tabs.

O start with tabs all up
O trim down when needed if heading into seas from around 10 to 2 o'clock.
O I rarely trim in beam seas 8-9 or 3-4
O I never use any tabs if the seas are 8 to 4. You want the bow as high as possible when riding over the seas to avoid bow steer or worse - stuffing into a wave. You want to go over rather than through.

When I put the tabs down I am ver aggressive and mostly run about 0, half, or full. The idea is to get max speed into seas while minimizing pounding. I adjust the throttle until I am riding well with only very occaisional hard landings. I am not one to sacrifice comfort for speed.

Since our runs are usually 20-60nm, I get dialed in after clearing the inlet and any traffic, and typically don't adjust unless conditions change. These days I can look at the clutter on my radar and usually guess tab and throttle settings. Of course I love the days when there is no clutter, no tabs, and speed is as fast as I want.

Wally World

Reaction score
Megabytes,
Much appreciated info. Your description is right on. Thank you.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've had my 330 about 1.5 years and understand exactly what you are talking about. I think it's a function of a deep, slightly rounded Vee forward and a relatively flat stern with lower deadrise. I've found that with a following sea, the yaw can be pretty adverse, but not to the point of risking broaching. It can get scary in a high sea coming into an inlet. You need to keep the stern ahead of the crest of any breaking waves or you can really get a significant roll and scare yourself. Take a look at how the USCG surf boats demonstrate their roll over capability and you'll see what you shouldn't do. In normal conditions you can use the rudder to keep straight, in a heavy following sea it takes both rudder and throttle. My autopilot can keep up in most conditions. I haven't found the trim tabs to make a significant difference either way. I suppose having them full nose down could create more drag on the stern and help a bit, but running down-sea is best done at a speed that more closely looks like a head sea to the hull. The risk with tabs full nose down would be you'll plow the nose into the next wave and make it worse. In extreme inlet crossings with a following sea, I'd probably opt for backing into the inlet and keeping the bow into the sea versus trying to run with it and risk a breaker over the stern and a broach. Having been qualified in the old USCG 44' motor surf boat, I'd much rather operate in extreme conditions with a head sea. With a beam sea it does seem to be very sensitive to both tabs and weight shifts. It rolls a bit, again, I think a function of the hull shape. Just my 2 cents. The following sea yaw is the only unfavorable characteristic I've found with the 330. Everything is a compromise.

Rosstafari

Reaction score
i have to weigh in on this one as well. I purchased a 265 this past year and have been running the hell out of the boat these past few months. If there is one major complaint it is that the boat is WAY TO TRIM SENSITIVE. i find myself constantly trying to trim the boat to keep her level right when you think you get her stable all the sudden she oer compinsates for the adjustment. This is so annoying. I recently made a trip offshore this past weekend and had 5 guys, ice and gear with half fuel and on the way in i was ridding the trim tabs constantly to get the boat to stay level. I thought for a while that it was my crew moving from one spot to another on the boat. Even with having everyone staying still i struggle. I would love to hear similar feedback and or remedies to this issue. Im glad you created this thread. :bang :bang

Lucky13

Reaction score
also got a 265 this year. the hull is very tab sensitive but I get the boat going and trim the engines up without using the tabs. try to only use tabs to adjust for crew and weight in the boat. this has worked so far.

djohnson52

Reaction score
I wanted to weigh in on this as well. I am fairly new to boating but have been running into a similar issue with my 268 Islander. The last few times out I have noticed the boat wants to turn left when running in certain conditions and is very hard to get out of without powering down. I mainly notice this when there is a decent chop and a strong breeze coming at me. I have tried the tabs and run into the same issue that Rostafari mentioned where the boat is fine for a few seconds and then over corrects and leans the other direction. I have also read some forums that it could possibly be due to the zinc on the port motor being loose! Could it just be the strong breeze catching the eisenglass surround(partially open/unzipped) and hull and using it like a sail, zincs or what about low steering fluid in the sea star system? Any info/opinions would help. Thanks in advance.

sopogrady

Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys are applying your tabs. I agree the 330 takes tab input quite well, but you should be giving short hits of the tab as there is a delayed reaction. I have found that a little tab goes a long way with the 330.

Steds83

Reaction score
I have same handling charateristics with my 2001 265. I figured the LI Sound chop was adding to the it, because on flat days she runs great, but now hearing same from other locations. I've tied different combinations of tab and motor trim settings but can't completely eliminate. I'd like to hear any other potential causes.

Has anyone installed Bennett's Auto Tab Control (ATC) on a 265 or other GW hull that handles in similar fashion? Results?

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog. ... &catHome=1

Wally World

Reaction score
DJohnson, funny you say that about the Zinc. My Starboard Zinc below the cavitation plate when I came in was loose the first time this happened to me so we tightened it. Went out the second time and the same thing happened again. When I returned to the dock, I noticed that now the zinc has somehow fallen off?? I wouldn't think that the little zinc would make any difference, never mind that much difference, but maybe???? Does the small rudder on the zinc make that much of a difference?

djohnson52

Reaction score
Wally World, just posting a quick response and then back to work. I can't remember if I read a thread about the zincs on this site or if I just Google'd it, but there was a few people talking about it. I wouldn't think the little fin would make a difference either, but maybe it does. Someone mentioned you can buy a flat zinc to replace that one! It may be worth trying. I have not had the time to check my zinc out yet, hopefully this weekend and I will re-post when done.

Just glad to hear I am not the only one with this issue!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I will chime in as another 265 owner. I cannot speak for a 330 but I'm interested in as it may be my upgrade one day. As is well documented my boat is sensitive to leaning from side to side. In my case it is compounded by my crew usually being big guys who cannot sit still. I have also found that with the full enclosure up acting like a sail, there can be wind effect on the way she leans too. In running the boat for several seasons I have found that a there is a prolonged delay from adjusting the tabs until the boat straightens out. I usually do a touch of tab at a time, then wait a bit before I adjust again. I also try to synchronize the engines as best as I can. I have gotten good at adjusting it after running the boat for a while.

captain swag

Reaction score
Thought I might have a warped hull when our 265 veered to port on one of our first shakedowns last year. When going offshore we now trim the engines pretty high to keep the bow up and use NO tabs if at all possible. We try to initially arrange coolers and anything heavy along the centerline and then balance crew on port and starb. sides. Tell everybody NO moving around. Adjust tabs in one second increments. Usually works for us....and when it doesn't we run a little "tilted", but surprisingly it self corrects after a little while. Sill wouldn't trade for another hull. With new 225 optis we are averaging better than 2.2 mpg at 27 to 29 mph. And the ride in nasty water is great.