Trim tabs and full width Swim platform on a 228G

Jcrawford

Reaction score
So long story short I got a 1996 228G late last summer and installed a Raymarine ES97 MFD, a new VHF and did canvas updates over the winter but after using the boat this summer I am already planning the next projects.

1. The boat doesn't have trim tabs and after reading many posts here I think they may help improve the ride during family outings. The question is really what size is the best? I have seen some recommendations for 10 x 12 Bennett tabs such as these.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=2086020
They just seem small for this size boat?

2. The second upgrade I would like to do is add a full width swim platform. I have seen these on other boats of this vintage but when I reached out to my local grady dealer no one has one or could even get the specs on it to see if something could be made. So I am hoping someone could help me out with more info on them.

seasick

Reaction score
Jcrawford said:
So long story short I got a 1996 228G late last summer and installed a Raymarine ES97 MFD, a new VHF and did canvas updates over the winter but after using the boat this summer I am already planning the next projects.

1. The boat doesn't have trim tabs and after reading many posts here I think they may help improve the ride during family outings. The question is really what size is the best? I have seen some recommendations for 10 x 12 Bennett tabs such as these.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=2086020
They just seem small for this size boat?

2. The second upgrade I would like to do is add a full width swim platform. I have seen these on other boats of this vintage but when I reached out to my local grady dealer no one has one or could even get the specs on it to see if something could be made. So I am hoping someone could help me out with more info on them.

Call Bennett to discuss your specific situation. I am not sure that the Sports model would be my first choice but I could be wrong. The space under the swim ladder if there is one or future swim platform may affect which model and size tabs you can fit.

Jcrawford

Reaction score
I do currently have a swim ladder so I would assume that would give me a good reference point for measurements. Thanks for the advice on calling Bennett.

Tabman

Reaction score
The 10 x 12 M120 Sport Tab would be a good choice, its shorter actuators take up less transom height, good for the future platform. We recommend them for up to 23 ft boats.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine