Trim Tabs

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents,
Just got a 208 Escape. Trying to budget trim tabs but money is expectantly short. Who has the best price on Bennett's?

Thanks Guys

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I perfer the bennets, I've had great service, but the volvo's are not a bad system at all, have some nice features but might be more pricey then you need. Lenco's might be the cheapest alternative, and easiest to install, a lot of builders are switching to them lately, including the one I work for, they offer a greater range of models and prices are often cheaper then hydraulic systems, and there are less components.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can get used parts on Ebay, the pumps gnerally last a long time and are usually in a dry spot. The rams I'd get new, but the plates can be found used.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Whoa! Boa Marine has Bennett 12" X 12" for about $450. That's right in line with the Lenco. Guess they felt the competition. I guess now the question is which one's are better. I really like the Lenco's because they don't have a pump. Anybody got any feedback on these?

markb8608

Reaction score
bennet trim tabs

Hello
I purchased my Bennet trim tab NEMA 2000 kit from davesmarinelectronics.com prompt delivery, good prices, no state sales tax, good return policy
mark

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bennetts work flawlessly. You'll love them for leveling up the boat side to side. I have quite a torque lean without trim.

I also run a Permatrim, Andy sells them from New Zealand. It's a cavitation plate extension that doesn't detract from your top end. But boy when you trim that motor it really responds. My boat will plain at under 10mph. They're about $150, easy to install.

If all you need is fore and aft trim look at one of those.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Tucker said:
I really like the Lenco's because they don't have a pump. Anybody got any feedback on these?

Both systems use an electric motor(s) in the system.

The Lencos use two motors. Both are mounted partially submerged in the water.

The Bennetts on the other hand use a single motor that drives both actuators. The motor is mounted inside the boat in a dry location.

I think you’ll find that the mean time between failures of two partially submerged motors is a higher than a pumped mounted motor in a dry location.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Lenco's put the electric motors in the water. If the shaft gets cruded up and damages the shaft seal you have replace the whole unit. May be OK for a trailered or lift stored boat but I'm not sure why you would take the chance.

I had Lenco's on a previous boat. After the second set I switched to Bennett's and never had another problem.

bhemi

Reaction score
Bennetts are bullet proof

I just pulled the hatch to check out mine. The pump is 17 years old and looks like new except that the resevoir is impossible to see through now as the plastic has aged. I've heard of replacing the actuators (rams?) but not the pumps. If you keep your boat in the water get Bennetts.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, hookup has used both and the Lenco's failed. That's all I need to hear. Nothing beats experience. Who's mounted the Bennett's?? Do you run the hose behind the actuator mounting base or did you raise it above the water line? After reading all the threads about water intrusion into the transom wood I'm all tight a$$ed about drilling any holes below the water line. A guy on this site says to over bore the hole and fill it with epoxy then drill the hole to the proper size through the resin for the hyd line. Not sure how to pack epoxy in a 1" hole 3" long. My guess is the factory just drills a hole and seals it with 5200. What do you guys think? I tell you though, the Lenco's are plug and play.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hydraulic line goes thru the transom behind the top of the actuator, which is above the waterline, and it's about 1/4" in diameter. You drill a hole, feed thru line, hook up your systems, and seal with 5200.

BTW, Todd Bennett has a forum on THT and is very responsive and helpful.

Another BTW, I had a guy show me a cool setup for mounting 'ducers and such on your transom. Instead of mounting each unit you may have, mount one piece of 1/2" color-matched starboard about 4"X12" along the bottom edge of the transom, one side or the other of the engine. Bed it with 5200, using two #10-12 counter-sunk stainless screws. That way you only have two holes in the transom, they are both well sealed, and you can screw as many doo-dads that you wish into that chunk of starboard. If you ever want to remove everythng, there are only two holes to fill with gel coat repair. Some guys even skip the screws and just glue the board to the hull. It's just harder to get it clamped there 'till the sealant sets up.

Now you can have a finder at the back of the boat too, mount a bait tank pump, whatever you want, without drilling a bunch of holes in your transom.

PA228G

Reaction score
My $0.02 - The switch on the Bennett system in my '94 went bad 2 years ago because a wire failed at the connector. I called to order a replacement and they sent me a replacement FREE even though I told them the boat was over 10 years old, I was the 2nd owner and had no idea how long the system was on the boat. I also ordered a NMEA tab indicator sensor to interface with a Lowrance display gage from an (online) third party that was missing install instructions. Called Bennett and they walked me trhough it - no problem. Don't know about the other manufacturers but Bennett stands behind their products and is very helpful technically. Wish I could say the same about some of the other electronics stuff ...

markb8608

Reaction score
bennets-NEMA 2000 compatible

I have the bennets (original) on 1999 tournament. I recently added NEMA 2000 sensors (designed by bennet). Now, I can monitor my trim tabs on any lowrance NEMA guage and fishfinder.
Mark

mronzo

Reaction score
I have Bennets on my 265. If you're not familiar with the 265,
the tabs in the up position fold into a pocket in the hull.
When I touch the tab switch the boat really responds!
When I had questions the Bennet folks were very courteous
and helpful.