trim tabs

LarryO

Reaction score
Appreciate any comments on whether trim tabs may help smooth out the rough ride on my 89 overnighter 20 footer . Fish the Delaware bay with a quick chop . Would like to be able to handle 2-3 footers better , not looking for a miracle . Thanks

fishhrd

Reaction score
Yeah it will get the bow down and ride much better. I put Bennett M120 sport tabs on a 209 and it was night and day difference. It is worth every dime.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do a search on tabs, there has been quite a bit of discussion lately, several threads.

Running into 2-3 footers and larger, nothing much is going to help more than just slowing down. Frankly I think the permatrim works better for just slogging it out at 12-15 knots as it keeps the bow down and and the hull on plane. At that speed the tabs are not very effective, but they do help some. I would spend the $150 for the permatrim first, then the $800 for the tabs if you still need/want them.

For running with seas we don't use tabs anyway as you don't want to bury the bow.

Tabs best use is for adjusting the planing attitute at cruise with the motor trimmed out, and for thwartship leveling due to uneven loading and prop torque. Without tabs most boats will lean to port underway from prop torque (with a standard motor anyway, not a counter-rotating).

catch22

Reaction score
Imo, tabs should be standard on every boat, and yes... they will definitely improve your ride. You won't believe the difference in a head sea. Once you have them, you'll wonder how you did without them.

I've installed the standard 12 x 9 Bennette's on at least 6 boats, ranging from 20 to 24 foot, with no complaints. I do like the "M", (sport tab) series... smaller foot print and a little easier to install because the line gets connected directly to the acuator, outside the transom, before mounting. There's no brass tube running thru the transom, so there's no wrestling with connections inside the bilge area.

Here's a pretty good price on M120's - http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Bennett+ ... +Tabs.html

Personnally, (for your 20' Overnighter) I think you could get away with the M80's, (even smaller foot print) but you might want to take fishhrd's advice and go with the M120's.

M80's - http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Bennett+ ... +Tabs.html

As already mentioned... be carefull in a following sea.. make sure the tabs are fully retracted, (up).

fishhrd

Reaction score
The 209 was a 1996 model. Before I purchased the tabs I contacted both grady white and Bennett to see what they suggested. The M120's are plenty of tab for your boat. When I put them all the way down the bow shoves into the water and my top speed drops about 10mph.

fishhrd

Reaction score
Check BOE marine, I think they have a sale on the M120's for a great price. I have bought a few things from them and they are very helful and you will receive the product quickly. If you call them, you will talk to Jim on the phone and he can give you advice. If money is an issue, you may want to go with the Lenco as they are cheaper.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I put the regular 12” x 12” on mine which helped tremendously with the Chessy chop. I'd expect similar results on the Delaware

LarryO

Reaction score
Appreciate all the help . My primary issue is the 89 is a pre Sea V hull .
I want to be sure the tabs can make some difference . Rides like a bathtub in a 1 - 2 short chop . Hydrofoils and trimming do not help . Otherwise boat has been rebuilt and repowered , can't see getting a newer one if I can help it . Thanks , Larry

Seahunter

Reaction score
My previous boat was an 88 Overnighter. The tabs did wonders for the ride.

A 2' longer SeaV2 hull makes for a much better ride. :wink:

LarryO

Reaction score
Thanks Seahunter , that's what I wanted to hear . Someday on the 22 I hope .