Trim Tabs

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, bit the bullet and got a pair of M120's on the way. Still not sure how to use them with the motor trim. In calm water leave the tabs up and trim with motor? In rought water leave motor all the way down and trim with tabs? What works best guys?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There isn't any formula that works all the time. It depends on the sea conditions. On my boat if the water is calm and the weight is distributed evenly I keep the tabs retracted since there is the issue of drag that is created when the tabs are down.

If the weight is uneven I will lower one side to even the boat up and make it level out from side to side. I adjust the tabs as little as possible and give the hull a couple of seconds to change before making any other adjustments.

If there is a chop and I need to lower the bow I will put the tabs all the way down and cut through the waves with a much smoother ride.

I never ever use the tabs in a following sea.

Hope this helps. Maybe others can expand upon what I said.

gradytom

Reaction score
Its really all trial and error, everytime out.
But you will know pretty much what to expect after a while and it will become almost second nature.
I generally adjust my motor trim to water conditions to maximize whatever cruise speed I want while trying to lower rpm, and trim tabs to level the boat due to load and then really fine tune the ride and efficiency.
I've got a flowscan meter so I keep an eye on that for the efficiency, but you can also hear and feel it after some practice.
I've got a 9.9 trolling motor so my tabs are usually necessary to level the ride unless I have a passenger or large cooler opposite to offset.
As stated, caution w/tabs in a following sea.

georgemjr

Reaction score
As much as load, you will find the need for tabs with a crosswind. Basically when a wind is hitting you from the side, it is trying to push the bow. To keep your heading stable you (probably unconsciously) steer into the wind therefore cancel out the wind push. This always causes the upwind side of the boat to lower. Imagine how much the boat leans when turning. You are creating this to a lesser degree when there is a crosswind. I always adjust my tabs to keep the boat level, therefore I am taking the waves dead center on the V creating a better ride. Like was stated, it is trial and error each time you take the boat out. Basically, they will slow you down because they create drag, but will give you a better or more level ride when needed. I almost always keep the bow as high as possible, reducing drag and making the boat more efficient when running.