Trim/tilt goes up but not down!

grady23

Reaction score
Hi and thakns for reading. I have a pair of Yamaha SW Series II 1997 150's. On a recent raod trip, I forgot to turn off the power, the right enegine trim switch somehow got stuck in the "UP" postion for about and Hr. We stopped for gas in the tow vehicle and I heard the tilt/trim motor running LOUDLY. I managed to get the sw dis-enguage and cu off the power. Motor would not tilt up or down at that point. Got home and tried again and got motor to tilt all the way up, but would not go down at all. Ordered and installed new cowling switch today. No Change -- Goes up - motor runs but no motor when dwn swicth hit. I can hear the relay click but that's it. I checked the 20 amp and the 30 amp fuses in the motor and they seem fine. Is there another fuse somewhere?? BTW -- Tried to get the manual screw to release, but no joy. Screwdriver slot was trying to "round-off" so I stopped. Any hints or suggestions welcome --

cgmiller

Reaction score
If you can find the relays, you may be able to jumper the one for lowering the engine....

grady23

Reaction score
Chris --Thanks for the reply -- I know where the relays are but unsure which is for up or down. Plus -- Not sure which terminals to jump.

seasick

Reaction score
The good news is that I believe your tilt motor is a 2 wire unit. Reversing the polarity reverses the motor rotation. Therefore the tilt motor is good. The most common cause assuming you hear the relay click, is a bad relay. The coil is activating but the contacts are bad. It is possible that the relay is good but the wiring connections are corroded. That is relatively easy to check too. You can also connect 12 volts to the tilt motor leads and the motor will run. Reverse the leads and it will run in the opposite direction. If the motor still only tilts up and not down with a direct 12v connection, the problem may be a bit more complex but that is a rare situation. I would lean towards a bad relay of bad connections.

Shutterbug

Reaction score
grady23 said:
Chris --Thanks for the reply -- I know where the relays are but unsure which is for up or down. Plus -- Not sure which terminals to jump.

Probably not much help with my engines being Mercs. Had relay go bad a month ago. With optimax it's a 2 wire system also. The 2 are sort of color coded. Blue-sky-up and green-grass-down. I disconnected, was able to touch the end to a positive, and determined the relay was bad, not the motor. Changing the relay was simple but not easy to get to on my engines.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
The good news is that I believe your tilt motor is a 2 wire unit. Reversing the polarity reverses the motor rotation.

Ditto, I'd disconnect the tilt motor from the relay to be safe then jumper 12V the motor's terminals. If it goes up then reverse the wires.

grady23

Reaction score
I've ordered a replacement for the relay -- Should be here in a few days. If the weather breaks, I'll install it and update this post.......We are getting hammered with 40+ and gusts to 60 from good old SANDY!

grady23

Reaction score
Re: Trim/tilt goes up but not down! SOLVED

As promised -- Here's the update. The lower relay of the two was the defective unit. The upper one controls tilting up and the lower one tilting down. Replaced the cowling switch($60) and the lower relay($110) and that solved the problem(s). Shop around if you need these parts as I found as much as a $30 difference in the price of the relay. Of course the one I needed was the more expensive of the two relays.
BTW-- ShutterBug was right about the wirring. Green wire is the "DOWN" relay and Blue is the "UP" relay.