Trim/Tilt rusting

gradyrod

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good method of keeping the T/T motor coated to stop rusting. Every year I try to spray it, but it always seems to be rusting!

What is the best way to try and preserve this expensive motor?

Thanks.

Gradyrod
1985 Fisherman 204
1997 Johnson Oceanrunner 175

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same problem with mine, rust keeps comming back. Finnaly the motor went, the new ones are plactic casing and wont rust. Bad thing is its to replace 200$. But on the plus side , the new motors are very quiet .

striped bass

Reaction score
Same issue here as well. I sand the rust off each spring and paint it with primer and Yamaha silver paint. Then I put on a water barrier coating. Still comes back but less so with the annual maintenance routine. The whole motor has to be removed to get at the trim/tilt motor for replacement.

antaris

Reaction score
Had the same issue, my mechanic suggested that electrolysis may be taking part. Check your earthing and anodes (internal and external)!

gradyrod

Reaction score
Thanks everyone-- glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem! I will sand and paint again this spring and keep going until it needs replacing with that new plastic case unit.

ahill

Reaction score
Remove scale rust and treat with OSPHO, prime with Rustoleum red primer and apply top coat.