Trip anticipation

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Getting ready to head back down to South Carolina to do some catfishing with the guys next weekend for the week. This trip will be a little different for me. I'll have a Great Grady celebrity on board. Doc Stressor will be fishing with me for a couple of days. Looking forward to having him aboard my humble ride.

This will be my second celebrity member I've had on my boat. I had the privilege of having SmokyMtnGrady on board down in the Keys. He was gracious enough to show me how to troll for Mahi. I'd never done it and it was a bucket list thing for me.

I've met Halfhitch at his house in Venice a couple years ago and we partook in an adult beverage while checking out his boat. Couldn't get our schedule together to go out and fish, we'll make it one day.

It's neat to put face and name together, highly recommend it.

Here's Smoky observing our technique in the Keys.

20211016_180508.jpg
20210511_113420.jpg

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is the Lake Santee Yearly Run isn't it?

Glad Doc is showing up-that means he's feeling good and I'm happy about that.

Have at it and keep the very cool pics coming!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is the Lake Santee Yearly Run isn't it?

Glad Doc is showing up-that means he's feeling good and I'm happy about that.

Have at it and keep the very cool pics coming!

Yep, this is it. We have new blood coming on this trip, never fished Santee before. They bought my buddy's old boat. Will be fun watching them learn. 7 guys and 3 boats, a little friendly competition could happen. We'll still watch the new guys, Santee can get rough really quick, don't want any incidents.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Love seeing this kind of stuff! Just take it easy with Doc, but maybe it will turn out to be visa-versa.

Awaiting pics :D

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm looking forward to the trip also. We used to fish the Santee-Cooper Lakes once or twice a year during our first Florida life. Haven't been back since the '80s.

Here's a picture of my wife with a 47 lb blue from back before there was color film: ;)

EHcatfish.jpg

We will take the opportunity to go to Charleston for a fancy meal on the 28th for our anniversary.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow,, very cool!! Happy I can get you back on the lake. I've been fishing Santee-Cooper since November of '89, right after Hugo came through in September. Been down there every year since, multiple times a year sometimes.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Ky Grady, wow! Those are some great fish.

I'm wondering if they taste muddy or off when they get that big? Forgive an Oregonian, never caught a huge cat fish.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As long as when you clean them, you remove the red meat, no fishy flavor. Those are all Arkansas Blue catfish, good white meat. Some of the bigger ones have their pictures taken and released to grow up some more. We also catch flatheads and channel cats, which the channels get thrown back, nothing you can do to make them not fishy tasting. The flatheads we keep also, but those are few and far between.

Reactions: Meanwhile

wrxhoon

Reaction score
She is like a mirror KY, have a good trip, hopefully you catch some fish too.
Summer the easiest way to tell she is not a post 2012 model is the outboard bracket and the swim platform. S/S rub rail looks good but the rubber/plastic is more practical in my opinion and I had both.