Trip Report: Marblehead MA to Nantucket

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just thought I'd report on my cruise this week to Nantucket from Marblehead (north of Boston) via Cape Cod Bay, Cape Cod Canal, Woods Hole, Vineyard Sound, and Nantucket Sound. 120 Miles each way.

I was very fortunate with the weather: 5-10 kts of wind, very little wave action, and decent to great visibility. I was able to run at 25-38 mph for all but the (speed controlled) Cape Cod Canal! Trip time was under 5 hours each way.

I highly recommend the "Trustees of Reservations" tour of Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge and Great Point Lighthouse.

Nantucket Boat Basin was very nice -- I was just in time for off-season rates, otherwise it is very expensive (as is their gas).

Boat ran great -- I think better with all my "stuff" than the usual light load. I may just keep more weight on her in the future to get that same great ride. Only problem I had was the fuel gauge -- it read empty when it was half full. I knew not to trust it, but this was concerning (I was in the slip at the time, so not that concerning).

If you are interested, I have a 3 minute video of my trip up on youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si5Wb9Q-yJw

I don't fish, but am sure those of you who do would really love it there.

Now that I have conquered Nantucket, I need to find a new stretch goal for cruising my 258. Ideas?

- Robert

3638953081_12f1725537.jpg

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Marblehead to Provincetown (Fish Stellwagen)

Provincetown through the canal and down to Newport.

Newport to Block island

Block Island to Shelter Island/Greenport

You can do any or all of this trip...Heading back from any point

ALL great stops with lot's of fishing/sightseeing along the way....

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What's the name of the tune you used as background music...Neat reggae-tinged shuffle with cool changes..
Kinda sounds like Al Stewart singing it. Y'know the "Year Of The Cat" guy..

mhff34

Reaction score
Great video. I am making similiar trip fourth of july. From Boston Harbor to Dennis on the south side any advise or precautions?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you fished I'd say Monomoy (basically due South of Chatham MA), but there's always a first.

How about Block Island?

capeguy

Reaction score
mhff34

Don't know your boat, but on a nice day going around the outside could be a great experience. Especially if you fish.

A friend of mine does this trip every year, fishes all the way down the back side, around Monomoy and into the sound.

Have fun.

mhff34

Reaction score
Its a 272 Sailfish. That's an interesting idea not sure if I have the guts. Do like to fish though.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Be careful going around Monomy. It's different now but about 17 years ago we went through the North end of Monomy and faced NASTY rips. You'll have a blast Striper fishing off Monomy, people come from far away to fish there.

Tundra1

Reaction score
Looks like fun, and great water conditions for the trip.
Ive not seen a 258 with a F225, the ones I was shopping had either twin 150s or 250. Are you happy with the performance? Videos look like she was spanking along nicely.

Jim

richie rich

Reaction score
How long from Marblehead to the other side of the canal in woods hole? I was planning on doing a Niantic CT to Mrblehead trip across Narragansette Bay in one day, but was a bit worried on how long it would take and if the body could take a pounding for 8 hours. How much fuel did you burn each way?

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for all the replies! A few of you asked questions, here are the answers:

The middle of the canal was about half way for me - so figure about 2 hours on the south side. Probably about 90 minutes from Woods Hole to Nantucket on the days I went -- but could imagine it taking 2-3 times as long if the weather was up. I think more than 5 hours at a stretch, at least when alone, is too much...

The F225 on the 258 has worked out for me. I usually go out alone, have some chop to deal with, etc. I can understand a 250 and probably would have gone with that or even a 300 if I had bought new.

I burned about 55 gals each way -- but I was humming along.

Precautions: Make sure you know the current and wind dynamics. I spent a lot of time looking at the guides and timing my trip. You don't want the wind and the current fighting one another -- big steep waves...

Background music is the Pet Shop Boys "Love Etc.". Has nothing to do with the content, but has been stuck in my head.

richie rich

Reaction score
looked like a great trip.....you should try Block Island or even the tip of Long Island like Montauk or even Sag Harbor....rub elbows with the rich folks in the Hamptons.......10 gallons per hour at 30mph average is pretty good!

Z4J

Reaction score
great show

Neat video, how did you capture the chart pictures for the video?

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The chart elements come from screen captures from the Garmin mapping software on my mac -- very easy to do.