Troll mode on the Yamaha CL7

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
My kicker took a crap and I was trolling on the main engine. I was able to get it down to about 2mph at 600rpm, does troll mode go slower?
And how do you get to troll mode, I tapped on it on the screen, nothing, do I need to be in neutral or something?

Reactions: wspitler

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pretty consistent with my experience on my 208 -- mine bottoms out at 650 RPM and will go up from there, but not down. Your low end is likely different than mine given you have the 250HP and I have a 200HP.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
PS to my prior reply: I would be thrilled if someone has another approach to go lower, but it's my understanding that this is working as designed (or perhaps as implemented).....

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Gary, if you look at the display in the top right there is a sort of faded out "Troll mode: off". At one point I knew how to turn that on but for me, it made no difference. I couldn't get the 250 to move me slower that 6mph.

I changed the prop, maybe that is it, I dunno, but when we were out there I got it down to under 2, I think 1.5mph.

I'd really like to know what "Troll mode" actually does, does anyone know? This is on a modern yamaha with digital controls.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Agh, not sure what is happening on yours....mine drops down to about 2 - 3 mph when in Trolling Mode
(per the GPS speed which I've been told is more accurate than what Yamaha is displaying). I cannot get down below 2 MPH unless I'm heading into the wind or currents. We used Trolling Mode last week at Moss.

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Larry, if you can get down to 1.5 to 2 I think you are doing fine for salmon. Look at the speed some of the commercials go when it their season starts. Sometimes if I’m going 1.5 I’ll kick it up to 2/2.5 and occasionally get bit (not this year yet…went Friday and got skunked. And people were calling out requests for you all day on the radio FYI haha).

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Larry, if you can get down to 1.5 to 2 I think you are doing fine for salmon. Look at the speed some of the commercials go when it their season starts. Sometimes if I’m going 1.5 I’ll kick it up to 2/2.5 and occasionally get bit (not this year yet…went Friday and got skunked. And people were calling out requests for you all day on the radio FYI haha).

Grady people, I have to tell the radio story, it is a hoot. gbgrady and I did a two boat launch out of Moss Landing, CA to chase salmon. I had sort of set it up because I had found all the people but they didn't know each other. I put Steve on Gary's 208 with my rod & reel.

OK, we're fishing. Not a lot of action, none other than some scratches on the bait. Then Gary gets on radio, my name is Larry, he goes "hey Larry was that your FG knot because it just failed and we lost the fish". Then they got a fish and the radio was asking who did what. And Gary, being my lovely friend, got on the radio and said "Just to be clear, it was Larry's knot that failed and it was my knot that got the fish".

The radio lit up and ripped me a new one. It was "Ask Larry, he knows how to fish, oh, wait, he can't tie a knot". And it just kept going, my boat was laughing their asses off and predicting what was next. Someone said "Larry for president" and the radio said that. The whale watcher lady was looking for whales and you know it "Ask Larry, he knows". Etc.

My crew was calling me "Larry Knot" or "Larry not".

If I was 14, I'd be butt hurt. I'm 60, that was the most unified our fleet has ever been in the last 6 years. If them razzing me is what gets them to all pull together, bring it. That was the most fun day I've had on the ocean. Kudos to Gary for getting that started, that was fun.

And after all of that, I hooked into a hot salmon, I was so worried about my FG knot, pulled like crazy, guess what? Larry knot landed the fish, my crew made it get in the boat.