Trolling + CO Poison???

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would like everyone’s thoughts here...

Took my nephews, daughter and wife out on Friday. It was super foggy (pic attached) and probably spent about 40-60 mins idling as we made our way through the channels and out to the ocean. Basically, there was no fog and then we were in it out of nowhere, so decided to just make our way out.

Anyways, we finally made it into the ocean and started fishing. I got my nephews set up and then went to get another lure, so went into the cockpit area to find it. When I came back out, I was a little nauseous and light headed. I kept pushing through but noticed my nephews felt the same.

We had full enclosures up and wind was coming from our stern basically the whole time. I don’t think it was sea sickness as my wife, daughter and I were out in a lot worse conditions the prior time (Friday was calm). However, once we made it back to the bay, we were better....wind was in the opposite direction and I cracked the window to increase ventilation.

With this being said, my wife doesn’t want us trolling in the future as the approach would be similar, right? Is this something common that happens and me being new, I should have cracked the windows earlier while idling?

Since reading an article about a young boy passing from CO poison on a boat, my wife is very concerned about this.

Sorry for the long post, but super curious now...

OX66 outboard

Attachments

• 308C1DB1-6D12-4EA7-A28C-870CF30F7D0C.jpeg
    308C1DB1-6D12-4EA7-A28C-870CF30F7D0C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Pighunter

Reaction score
While trolling for salmon with my ox66 I've experienced the same issue when the wind is blowing from the stern.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you’re right, it’s the exhaust from your engine being blown into the enclosure area, and I would be concerned. I too have a full enclosure on my boat and while I love it for getting out of the weather, we really never run with the two forward curtains down. It was always a visibility issue for us but I can also now see where it could be a CO issue. We have a four-stroke but even so, they also produce CO which is odorless. Before, when we had a two-stroke the smell of the fumes would force me to open the enclosure anyway but now I’ll be more aware if I do happen to be totally buttoned up while trolling. Thanks.

Reactions: Jimmy T

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree with others. Could try a fan, but I think the wind will be too much. As others have said, keep the enclosure up while trolling.

Greatty

Reaction score
You and family are lucky. CO poisoning is no joke. I've an ox66 as well and they are smokers, with the conditions you mentioned I'm not surprised at all.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
from what i've read, boating and CO are a big issue. you can probably find articles in the Boat US mag. transom riding on big boats with seating areas is an issue they had focused on. we always make sure of good airflow when travelling at low speed.

you might want to pickup a good battery operated CO detector and mount it at the helm with some 3M interlock strips. that way you can keep it out of the area when not needed. i did that on my gulfstream. you could also get a marine grade one.

good luck and be safe. ron

seasick

Reaction score
geeze, buy a marine grade CO detector!

Fishtales

Reaction score
HD has a Kidde Battery operated two pack for $30 that looks decent.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks...I just started researching sensors and will look to get 1 for the cabin and another for possibly under the hardtop for when the enclosures are up.

Is this a common purchase in smaller boats (22ft) having an outboard? Dont Remember seeing any when I was looking.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You can get a battery operated CO detector from Home Depot.
It will set your mind at ease.
I’d suspect though that you weren’t experiencing CO poisoning but were getting smoked out by your 2 strokes exhaust blowing back on you. Mine does that too and it can turn your stomach.
CO poisoning will turn the whites of your eyes reddish and give you one mother of a headache.
I did that once to myself and it was so bad I spent hours just holding my head wishing it would stop. Not doing that twice.
Get the detector. I use a kerosene turbo heater in my barn in the winter and I run it with diesel.
I bought a digital CO detector/meter which I’m always keeping an eye on. I’ve never seen any measurable level of CO but it’s comforting to know that.

Reactions: Blaugrana

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Something to think about is that in heavy fog you lose the land or horizon as a stable reference point which means that you can get seasick in milder conditions than normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt.Mike

seasick

Reaction score
What's the value of your family? It is not advisable to use residential CO detectors on your boat especially one under the hardtop.
They are not designed to be exposed to the elements. That is even more so in a salt water environment.
Here is an example of one

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
What's the value of your family? It is not advisable to use residential CO detectors on your boat especially one under the hardtop.
They are not designed to be exposed to the elements. That is even more so in a salt water environment.
Here is an example of one
$68 is nothing to spend For that !
No brainer.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed...I definitely will get a marine one after living through a detector that would malfunction whenever my daughter would leave the bathroom door open while showering.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m not saying don’t be concerned about CO. Get a monitor for sure. What you are describing and looking back at my experiences, I think CO might not have been the culprit. As I said fog can make people seasick in conditions that they are normally fine. Seasickness is caused by mixed messages that confuse you vestibular system. Your inner ear is telling your brain that you are moving while your eyes are saying you are stable. So you are getting slightly seasick. You go into the cabin. You are most probably bending over looking for something. You stand up and feel light headed and nauseous. So most people have experienced feeling light headed when standing up quickly. Do that when you vestibular system is confused and the effect can be amplified. If I start getting seasick the first thing I notice are the exhaust fumes. Diesel, 2 stroke, 4 stroke all to some extent. The fumes don’t cause the seasickness but they can sure make it worse. That’s where good ventilation helps. Have you noticed how seasick people tend to stick their head out the side of the boat looking for fresh air while everyone else has no problem with the fumes. By the time you got back to the bay with a change of direction and ventilation plus you could probably see land I’m not surprised you felt better. Fumes can make seasickness worse just from the smell without it being due to CO. Just like some off bait can. Get a CO monitor, have some ventilation and enjoy the boat.

seasick

Reaction score
I understand that the queasiness may be due to fumes and not necessarily CO, Heck, I don't go by the moniker SEASICK for nothing! Nevertheless, kids are more likely to suffer CO poisonings quicker than adults and are often likely to go into the cabin for a nap. The boat should have a CO detector and it should be a marine grade and certified unit.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I completely agree on all feedback. Think there were a bunch of factors at play. All I know is that I am installing a CO detector so this won’t be on my mind in the future

Fishtales

Reaction score
You'll need it for the Admiral's piece of mind more than anything....

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
I agree. Get a a detector for the cabin.
This can be very serious.
I had an issue where my home detector went off while I had a fire in the woodstove.
I called the fire dept who came and checked things out. One thing that sticks out in my mind about that.... the firemen said it was really good that we called.
My young daughter was asleep upstairs. They said that the amount of CO2 that would cause an adult to have a headache would be enough to kill a child!!!

Nothing to take chances with. Get a detector and I wouldn't allow anyone down below while you've been trolling until you get it ventilated.