Trolling for stripers

GW22

Reaction score
How many of you guys troll plastic for stripers from a grady 22.8 22.6 or 208 adventure ? and what trolling speeds do ya get seav2 hull 200 hp 2 and 4 stroke engines, just wondered. I trolled swim shads in fresh water but not from a grady but hope to get a grady in the near future, any help is welcome. no kicker.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How many of you guys troll plastic for stripers from a grady 22.8 22.6 or 208 adventure ? and what trolling speeds do ya get seav2 hull 200 hp 2 and 4 stroke engines, just wondered. I trolled swim shads in fresh water but not from a grady but hope to get a grady in the near future, any help is welcome. no kicker.
The fish don't care what boat you're in or what engine you have :)

I'm not sure of my exact speed - I sometimes change it up. But I tend to like those rubbery shad things (sorry, I'm not up on all the correct terms!). Anything that stays on top (or close to it) seems to do well.

Reactions: GW22

Finest Kind

Reaction score
As already mentioned, Boat type makes no difference to the fish.

But here is a deadly combo I'd suggest:
Stretch 25 or Nomad 220 on a 20 foot long 60 lb mono leader, tied to a 8 oz trolling drail, connected to 60 lb BRAID. (you need the braid to allow the rig to cut down into the water and run deep...mono just does not "cut it")

Deployment technique: once over the area you want to fish, turn the boat into the current/wind and put one motor in gear at idle. Slowly drop the drail and the lure to the bottom. Now bring the boat up to your normal trolling speed, (usually 5 mph or so for Stripers, I use the same technique at 10 mph for Wahoo) and troll in the direction you planned.

The drail plus the resistance of the big swimming lip on the plug will keep the lure much deeper than it would have run if you tried to deploy the lure without a drail, or if you tried to deploy the rig "normally" by simply letting it out while already at trolling speed.

One drawback, as just happened to me while trolling a Nomad / drail combo the other day, a Kingfish (or Wahoo) hit the drail and cut off the rest of my rig, losing my $50 lure.
Up north, the same thing can happen if there are Bluefish around.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As already mentioned, Boat type makes no difference to the fish.

But here is a deadly combo I'd suggest:
Stretch 25 or Nomad 220 on a 20 foot long 60 lb mono leader, tied to a 8 oz trolling drail, connected to 60 lb BRAID. (you need the braid to allow the rig to cut down into the water and run deep...mono just does not "cut it")

Deployment technique: once over the area you want to fish, turn the boat into the current/wind and put one motor in gear at idle. Slowly drop the drail and the lure to the bottom. Now bring the boat up to your normal trolling speed, (usually 5 mph or so for Stripers, I use the same technique at 10 mph for Wahoo) and troll in the direction you planned.

The drail plus the resistance of the big swimming lip on the plug will keep the lure much deeper than it would have run if you tried to deploy the lure without a drail, or if you tried to deploy the rig "normally" by simply letting it out while already at trolling speed.

One drawback, as just happened to me while trolling a Nomad / drail combo the other day, a Kingfish (or Wahoo) hit the drail and cut off the rest of my rig, losing my $50 lure.
Up north, the same thing can happen if there are Bluefish around.
Hmmm. I'm going to make a note of that and try it next time!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I fish with either umbrella rigs, one large softbait or tube and worm (weighted for depth or not for top water). I use wire (deep), mono (top) and lead core or braid (med) and see where they are hitting. 40-50 feet of water and go very slow (sometimes as slow as you can in hot water, faster when they are running and hungry) with current. Structure or a cliff like depth where the water goes shallow to deep fast. Finally look for lobster pot lines. They like to place them on the edge of the cliff so just inside or outside is productive. Finally, they are a lazy fish when it gets warm. They will lay on the water and go for nothing. In the NE, the bluefish go crazy and the bass lay at the bottom eating scraps. A lot of times those are days you get skunked.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I pull mojos, umbrellas, and spoons all the time, often solo. I never have issues getting down to ~3mph or so (SeaV2 226 with an ETEC 200HO). If conditions are sporty the bow can get blown off-course quickly at that speed, but short of getting autopilot you're going to deal with that on any boat.

Reactions: hooked on Grady

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I pull mojos, umbrellas, and spoons all the time, often solo. I never have issues getting down to ~3mph or so (SeaV2 226 with an ETEC 200HO). If conditions are sporty the bow can get blown off-course quickly at that speed, but short of getting autopilot you're going to deal with that on any boat.
Wire, leadcore, or braid?

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wire, leadcore, or braid?
I might be in the minority but I run braid for everything. I find a long dropper ahead of a bunker spoon with either an 8-10oz cannonball weight or a heavy parachute jig gets the spoon down far enough. Just need to leave a long, 5-6ft leader running down to the weight and at least that long of one headed to the spoon.

See the second post here

GW22

Reaction score
I will be fishing inland lakes in PA> I just never used a Grady, but hope to own one in the future just have to get some bills out of the way. then I will be ready, will look for 208 adventure 2000 or newer or a 22.6 or 22.8. I like the 22 ft but can one guy launch and retrive alone ?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I like the 22 ft but can one guy launch and retrive alone ?
It all depends on how nice the trailer is, how well the trailer is setup for the boat and, ultimately, your skill level. Yes, it's totally doable - it's still a small boat so pretty easy. I used to (ocassionally) launch and retrieve a 28' Sea Ray cruiser by myself - yes, you can do the 22-footer.

GW22

Reaction score
It all depends on how nice the trailer is, how well the trailer is setup for the boat and, ultimately, your skill level. Yes, it's totally doable - it's still a small boat so pretty easy. I used to (ocassionally) launch and retrieve a 28' Sea Ray cruiser by myself - yes, you can do the 22-footer.
I ran a lund 17 footer that I always launched myself no problem, it had bunks on the trailer I like bunk trailers for solo launch I just never did a 20 or 22 foot Grady and I fish alone abouit half the time for stripers and lakers. Thanks, for the reply.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have stripers in my back yard, we troll at 2 to 3 mph. no more no less, plastics, rapalas, or herring(2 or less). from kayak, jon boat, pontoon boat doesn't matter. surface trolling or deeper speed doesn't change. in the evenings here they come up to chase bait, otherwise they stay suspended

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I ran a lund 17 footer that I always launched myself no problem, it had bunks on the trailer I like bunk trailers for solo launch I just never did a 20 or 22 foot Grady and I fish alone abouit half the time for stripers and lakers. Thanks, for the reply.
Consider adding a trailer ladder to the front of the trailer if the tongue jack, winch stand and bow of the boat is not conducive to using themselves as a ladder.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I picked up my 228 this year, after solo launching a 17 ft cc for years. I took it for a test run a few weeks ago, solo, and found it to be the same drill. Before backing down the ramp, attach lines to front and rear cleats but leave them in the boat. Back her down until you see the aft part of the boat bobbing. Set the hand brake and walk back to the winch, where you will be standing in a foot of water. Ease the winch strap using the winch until she’s floating freely. If no wind, no current, you can disconnect the bow hook, grab the the bow line and hop over onto the dock. Walk to back and grab along the dock and grab the aft cleat line. Walk her back to available tie off cleats and then move your tow vehicle. If there’s wind/current then you’ll just need to secure lines to cleats by hopping on/off boat more frequently. Totally doable.